My Harman Setup

Jerrybro

Post by Jerrybro » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 6:57 pm

This is my MKIII. I’m burning bagged Blaschak and saving about 1 gallon of heating oil for every 10 lbs of coal burned. What really helps is the how water coil around the stove pipe that heats the water stored in the converted water heater. The water from the heater goes to the how water coil in the boiler, so the boiler rarely has to heat the domestic hot water when the stove is running. I had a galvanized storage tank that I replaced due to internal rust.

I can’t take any credit for installation or design as it came with the house. We had it for years and rarely used it because there was a Harman P61 Pellet stove right next to it. 3 factors made us switch. First was that the P61 was really cranking whaen it was at 450 degrees and the MK3 is idling at that temperature. Second was the hot water coil, once you use it you will become adicted to it. And last was pellet stove need electricity. Last year we lost power for 3 days in late winter. My wife was able to keep the house warm and could even cook on it.

Last year was the first year we tried to run it full time. The house felt warmer because the floor is warmed by the stove and the reduction in oil burned sealed the deal.

BTW, from time to time people ask about max temperature for the MKIII. When my stove reads 600 degrees on left side the temp as the base of the stove pipe reads about 450 and the temp at the chimney connector is around 130.

Jerry

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 9:22 pm

The man in the house before you was a very smart man...now you are pretty smart too!!! ;)

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Wed. Feb. 06, 2019 8:07 pm

heated basement that heats the floor above is ideal. your saying theres coiled piping around the stove pipe! i have a MK I + seen the optional hot water coil for the MK II + III when i got my stove but my layout required the smaller stove that puts a lot more heat out than i am comfortable with due to its location. i prolly burn 2T a year as i shut it down in moderate weather + use the oil furnace, i get oil every 5 years or so!!! i have a typical basement kitchen common in older homes in my area + Harman sets 10' away keeping me toasty on the cheap. i use an on demand Stiebel Eltron water heater + living alone it works well for me. i am always looking to reduce living cost + preheated water would help as my tankless heater is sensored + only activates when needed with a adjustable thermostat on it. so when oil is on in moderate weather water from it is warmed going to the tankless heater so it runs less.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”