Corroded metal rectangular pieces in firebox

beeski
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 insert
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by beeski » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Good evening everyone,

I have a Hitzer 503 coal insert. After shaking down tonight, I noticed a pretty substantial piece of metal, about as wide as the firebox, in the back of the firebox. It is a rectangle and is pretty well corroded at the lower edge. I don't know where this came from or what it is. I will work on getting a photo. I think there is another piece in there as well, as it looks like there was something in front of the back firebricks. Since it is going to be below zero here tonight, I didn't want to spend too much time fiddling with it tonight. Seems to be burning OK still. The family was home all day and no one noticed anything, so I am thinking maybe it fell during the shaking?

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 9:22 pm

Seems like the hopper.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 10:55 pm

Probably the brick retainer...
If it was from the hopper it would be narrower than the firebox...
The bricks will stay in as long as there is coal in the firebed...

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 10:19 am

There is a rectangular piece of metal that sits out of sight internally above and behind the hopper,just below the built in manual dampener. This is a heat deflector shield that sits just below the chimney connection out flow and helps to retain heat in the fire box. It sits on a narrow ledge with a very small retaining ridge. This ridge will corrode over time resulting in the shield just balancing on the ledge. With vibration resulting from tending it could work loose and fall. I repaint and check placement every season at clean out. The only thing is this shield is not as wide as the fire box so that doesn't fit your description??? The fire brick retainer was a good thought but you should be able to see if that is missing even with the stove burning. A picture would help.
Gian4

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”