thank you

momtofour2014
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 254

Post by momtofour2014 » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 8:37 am

I just registered so that I could post a thank you to the creators of and contributors to this forum. We started burning coal in our stove this year after 19 years of burning wood. This summer was simply just too busy for us to cut and split what we need. The first ton we went through was a constant struggle.. I could build a great fire have it going well and then have it be out either when I woke up or came home from work. When we got our second ton delivered (a friend sells it) my husband told the guy "we're still in the hating it phase" This past Thursday, after coming home to yet another dying fire I spent HOURS(literally hours) reading through the threads for tips and tricks. Even if the main subject wasn't exactly of interest there would be some nugget of info that made me say "AHA!"(like for example coal is bagged wet and the black juice is normal..I was ready to call our friend and complain,lol) So, anyway here it is Sat and I haven't had to restart a fire since Thurs which is a new p.r. for us. Thank you for answering peoples questions without being snarky and condescending. I have bookmarked this site as I am sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on..now time to go bread and milk 'cause a storm's a comin'

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 8:42 am

Welcome to the forum,

I'm glad it helped you out. Burning coal is a bit tough to understand at first because it doesn't burn anything like wood. Once you know what to do, you will realize it's a whole lot less work than would.

P.S., Don't forget the eggs.

-Don

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 8:54 am

Welcome to the forum, there are a bunch of good people here that would be more than happy to help. Your in a great area for access to coal, just take some time & soon you will be one of those that can offer help.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 9:14 am

Welcome to the forum & congrats on moving to the dark side of heat!! :clap:

In case you haven't found it, here is a link to some of the popular topics that have been tagged over the years.

Lots of good info, some debates, but like you mentioned the posts here avoid the poor condescending attitude you see on too many forums. :yes:

Popular Hand Fired Coal Stove Topics

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 9:15 am

I went through the same exact thing 6 yrs ago, when I first started burning coal in my hand fed boiler. Then I figured out that shaking wasn't enough, as too much ash was building around the perimeter of the firebox. Now every evening when I am ready to load up for the night I ramp up the fire & use a poker around the edges & then shake. Problem solved. And yes damp coal is not a bad thing, it keeps the dust down. Hope this helps.

momtofour2014
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 254

Post by momtofour2014 » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 9:35 am

yes the poke and shake has helped tremendously, so far it's led to much less mess than just letting the fire die to clean it all out and start over, lol..Who knew!?! haha

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 10:15 am

Always good to hear the help the older posts have done...
Welcome to to the rock burning club...
Bonus is more free time during the summer...
for you and the kids...

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 5:53 pm

fourms of many kinds are great IMO. many helpful memembers to get you started, stoves vary as what works best + theres a learning curve but coal is very economical + not a lot of work like wood + are easier regulated + can burn longer without "cookin" you out. my first house had a heatrola + gas-coal kitchen stove, now i have oil but when it went to $4 a gal Harman coal to the rescue!!!! being retired its something to do but not too much. in my garage i put a cheap vogelzang coal-wood but it only works decently with wood, as i only fire it when i am there in the cold, prolly putting a small woodie in there this summer as the vog-pottie is falling apart + i know most of the heat is right out the pipe!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 7:05 pm

You are on the brink of a breakthrough with your recent success. We've all been there. Don't be afraid to ask anything.

Welcome aboard :)

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 7:25 pm

Funny how coal use to be very popular for home heating. All it took was one generation of no coal burning for it to be a lost art.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 7:46 pm

I spent a year lurking here before I ever decided to burn coal and at that point still was not committed to it. We've all been there and once you start to have some success you'll start developing your own style of burning coal and off you'll go. Welcome to the coal burning fraternity.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Welcome to the forum

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Welcome to the forum, great bunch here! I always refer new burners to come here and join the community so they can learn a thing or two and make some great new friends!

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Welcome to the forum. I think quite a few of us came from woodstoves. Glad you're enjoying coal now. Yes this site is a blessing for coal users.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 1:39 am

As a newer coal burning member welcome. This site is absolutely the best. The members are truly awesome. As I'm getting older I've found that I just couldn't do the firewood thing anymore. The retrieving, cutting and splitting is too much a chore. But worse than that was the sleep deprivation. Every 2 hours having to get up and refill the stove. I had wood Pellet stove for backup which had turned into primary heat. But at $1600 a year and the heat output just wasn't there. Coal was the way to go. It's -3 outside and the main room in the house is a warm and balmy 84 and the farthest bedroom 70. It's been 5 hours and haven't touched the stove and have no intention of touching it for another 6 hours. Yea. I'm Happy. Lol.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”