thank you

momtofour2014
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 254

Post by momtofour2014 » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 8:06 am

Thanks all..just a quick update..since posting I've had to throw a piece or two of wood on the get it going again only twice. Yesterday morning I just let it go out completely to really clean the ash out. I believe I am not aggressive enough on my shake and poke and I've learned that if I think I have loaded the stove full to add 4 more scoops,haha. But the best news is I've convinced the husband to leave it alone during the day. All in all during this week of snow and sub=zero I have thoroughly enjoyed not having to carry wood up from the woodshed..Still learning how to keep it steady but it is so much better than a month ago

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 8:16 am

Congrats on the progress! :clap:

Experiment a little on the shake down process and you'll figure out what needs to happen to keep it going well. I learned on the Mark III to drag the poker along the edges every few days to clear ash that wouldn't shake down. Doing that kept it clear enough for a good burn & heat output. I would sometimes need to shut down for a total clean out if the were large clinkers that accumulated.

Tell Hubby no need to mess wit' da stove except for shake down and load time! It runs hands off in between! :yes:

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 11:29 am

Because of having to continually mess with a wood stove the Hardest part to learn with a coal stove is hands off in between refills.
The other piece of advice would be to get on a schedule. Mine is 7am and 7 pm. On the weekends that goes out the window. As I don't get up that early -lol. Today I shook and refilled at 10. Took a few seconds longer to service than Normal.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 11:38 am

Nice S--you're doin good!! :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”