stove burning poorly on right side

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Guys buddy new to coal has a D S 1400 an stove lazy burn on one side .We shut it down yesterday cleaned under grates chimney brick cracked window same situation today .Bobs using range coal Jeddo.Cleaned chimney . Im burning 31 years an stumped . We had twenty degrees an colder all week .Your input jack

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 8:54 pm

jack try to keep mostly covering the left side with new coal by hand, this will force more draft up the right side and liven it up.

best ,
steve

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 9:09 pm

is the lazy side opposite side of air inlet...

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 7:23 am

yes on this stove the inlet is under and behind the left side of the grates but I have never found that it biases the burn to any recognizable degree.

I have had a side lag before generally after a start up if I didn't have even coverage of a base fire when layering in the coal. I've top coated the clear breathing side and had the other catch up consistently.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 10:19 am

Yes usually it lags then the close side ashes a bit...
Then the far side evens out...
Something is biasing the close side...
A linkage not rocking the grates evenly or more gap on the hot side...

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 11:17 am

in the circulator models the grates lie side to side and rock forward and back in unison if they are moving they are all moving the same amount and timing.

DSM has dealt with this to a degree by running a piece of flat stock from back to front at a 45* angle under the grates on the left side to move the air path over to the right.

I have never seen this issue not respond to getting the base of the fire bed burning evenly. nor have I seen it persist once the fire is established and the hopper is in use.

results may vary
steve

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 10:09 pm

My DS 1300 sometimes seems a little slow on one side, always the side furthest from the air inlet. The other odd thing is, sometimes the flames slant as if being blown or drawn from right to left, looking in the door. I don't worry about it and it usually evens out after half an hour. If your situation is so bad it is causing a problem, maybe you have an air leak on the fast-burning side??? Don't know where the leak would be, unless maybe in one of the convection tubes??? Just wild-ass guessing here ....

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks we are still working on the problem .jack

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”