Black stove pipe corrosion...

shawntitan

Post by shawntitan » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi guys, been struggling with this for years... probably ten years in to burning my New Yorker boiler, exclusively on anthracite coal for most of it. I’m on my third set of black stove pipe to connect it to my chimney... it just seems to corrode to nothing, and falls apart in my hands after a couple seasons. I’m using 24 gauge (Imperial), from the local True Value, after some thinner stuff I bought initially failed. I’ve tried breaking it all down at the end of the season, wire brushing it, and storing it in my garage, still no luck. Is anyone else dealing with anything like this? My father gets ten years out of his, running a similar set up, and he leaves his up all year round. Other than switching to 316 stainless, any suggestions?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 10:32 pm

If it is humid in summer it will rot...
Keep the pipe warm and dry...
Here on The Cape if left in the humid basement...
It will rot over the summer...

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 1:15 am

The last fire of the season throw some pine on the fire I use scrap 2x4 etc get a good hot fire then bank it down and pile on the pine... let it almost smoulder you want to put a thin coat of creosote on the inside of the pipe... I've been burning coal 5 years now and one stove has the same black pipe... One other thing leave the mpd if you have one open all summer so air goes up the chimney freely...

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 8:05 am

When you break it down for the summer and wash it out, use something like baking soda to neutralize any acid. I have read a few folks on here doing this with good results.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 8:39 am

304l or 316 ti stainless stove pipe found on line . I have also enameled stove pipe on a hand fed that is going on 30 years old. still good very expensive in the short term cheap long term .
It regular stove pipe that they bake enamel or a vitreous china layer on it .

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 10:00 am

As stated in a previous post, burning wood at the end of the season will extend the life of the stovepipe. My Harman boiler is very similar to yours & here is what I do. When I decide to shut down in spring I let the coal burn down & start adding wood. I then burn wood for about two days. This coats the boiler & stovepipe with a nice layer of creosote. After the wood goes out I clean the stove, remove the pipe, cap off the chimney & stove & store the pipe in a dry place. I then spray the stove with WD-40
& put a 40-W light bulb in the stove to further prevent condensation. This is my 6TH year with the same stovepipe with NO signs of corrosion. Hope this helps.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 10:47 am

Location is also a big factor.

The hardware store stove pipe I had for the basement shop pot belly stove that I used in my last house on the south shore of Long Island, didn't last more than several years before it would rust through. It only ran about 5-6 months a heating season.

The hardware store stove pipe I had for my kitchen range here in central NY, I just had to change after 12 seasons of running 9 months.

I didn't do anything to dry-store, or coat to prevent corrosion, in either place. The difference being is that it's much dryer here, the heating seasons are half again as long, and my kitchen range chimney has a slate cap, like many old chimneys use to keep rain water out of the chimney.

Paul

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 10:25 pm

i have similar issues, my stove is located in a basement kitchen so its damp in the summer. removed after heating season helped a bit, i was looking for 304 stainless 6" single wall but whatever super thin stainless i got was barely better but more $$$. at least its cheap + easy to do myself! my oil furnace i use in moderate weather has the OE pipes on it, guessing the oily residue + older well galvanized pipe is just better, no outside rust either + its off most of the year + is in a damper section in my basement!!

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 11:01 pm

I take mine down rinse it, blow it out with compressed air, and let it dry in the sun. I then spray it down with Fluid Film and store it in dry basement all summer, or on a wood floor in the shed.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”