Hitzer 354 with 6 inch pipe

scottybk

Post by scottybk » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Just got a new Hitzer 354. I have a 6 inch thimble thru the wall to an 8 inch triple wall stainless chimney.

I used a reducing collar right off the top of the stove to drop from 7 inch to 6 inch pipe. Hitzer says not to do this, but I'm thinking the 7 inch pipe was just to get the max BTU rating on the stove. Plus 7 inch pipe and fittings are not easy to find. I also think maybe the 7 inch size is in case someone decides to burn wood during the shoulder season?

Anyone think this 7 inch to 6 inch reduction is a big problem or issue?

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 12:07 pm

scottybk wrote:
Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:09 pm
Just got a new Hitzer 354. I have a 6 inch thimble thru the wall to an 8 inch triple wall stainless chimney.

I used a reducing collar right off the top of the stove to drop from 7 inch to 6 inch pipe. Hitzer says not to do this, but I'm thinking the 7 inch pipe was just to get the max BTU rating on the stove. Plus 7 inch pipe and fittings are not easy to find. I also think maybe the 7 inch size is in case someone decides to burn wood during the shoulder season?

Anyone think this 7 inch to 6 inch reduction is a big problem or issue?
been doin this for years no problem ifin u got a good draft...i keep my mpd about 90-95 % closed, after coal gets going good...heating 2200 sq ft 1100 basement 1100 upstairs i make sure i have good circulation {heat upwards,cold air return down }basement runs 80* up runs mid 70* luv my 354... B.B.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Menard's has those 7 to 6 reducers. If one Menards doesn't have them, then try another. They're probably getting a little thin on them by now though.

Hey...can you tell me if that 354 has any 2ndary air tubes in it? I was just wondering. Someone told me you can burn wood in the 254 and 354 Hitzer's and I was just wondering. I don't believe it does, but to be honest I am not sure about that.
When I was at Hitzer I didn't get to take the time to look at the internals of the 254/354 -vs- 30-95/50-93 and that was something I wanted to do...that and ask more questions about them. I got side-tracked talking to one of the Amish factory workers. LOL! I should have asked him.

I know that two are hand fed and the other two are gravity fed by a hopper or by hand. I wonder if all 4 models have the bi-metal thermostat? I am thinking they do, but I'm not sure.

So are the internals different? Why do the 254/354 have the air control above the fire door? Two are fed through the door, two are fed through the door AND the top of the stove.

I have a wood stove now that has a 7x6 reducer on it...someone else reduced it...I just left it that way. The stove pipe is 6" to the thimble and then increased from 6" to 8" into the masonry chimney which is 8"square. Seems to burn just fine, just looks a little busy...which I don't mind. My wood stove was built in the early 80's and apparently a lot of stoves were transitioning from the then popular 8" stove outlet and stepping down to 7" and through more years most are now 6". There are still a few wood burners being built with 8" stove top outlet, Blaze King, model King, is one, and there might be a couple others...just a few. Of course, your Hitzer is still 7", obviously. I would be thinking that Hitzer would be changing this sometime soon. Maybe not, but it would only make sense. Like you mentioned about hard to find 7" pipe parts...it's easier to still find 8" than the 7" stuff...6" being far more popular these days.

Sometimes I wonder if all these code changes aren't keeping some pockets well stocked, if you know what I'm saying. Every chimney guy I've talked to wants to sell me a stove liner for my 8"x8" clay chimney. No thanks! It's in good shape...besides I may want or need to change things with a different stove from time to time and I may need an 8" chimney. LOL! Perfect size is just right, but restricts me and my wallet. Having a little bigger chimney, a little, never hurts, and makes options available without issues.

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 10:39 pm

its amazing what the smaller hand fired coal stoves can do! my small harman mkI was purchased because of its location in my basement-kitchen living area i didn't want to get "cooked out" still on coldest days like recent 1 at night + a high of 12 i need 80 in the stove area to heat the upper 2 floors, but i like a cool bedroom + xtra covers so i let little heat in my sleeping area. about $250 yearly for coal is great!! i use an on demand water heater when the coal is on, oil is off. one chimney only one fuel at a time!!

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 10:47 pm

oh on the pipe subject my harman has 6" pipes to the near old brick chimney no barometric on it, but other side has an 8" pipe off my oil furnace going in. old hose prolly had a coal or coal with gas for cookin as my last old house had. inlet was blocked but i opened it for my harman install. wish i had the beautiful heatrola from my last house, but being part of the heating system it stayed!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 9:30 am

HVAC supply houses will carry 7" and the oddest assortment of fittings, adapters and elbows. Commercial grade too.

scottybk

Post by scottybk » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 10:13 pm

I have burned some wood in the 354 just to use up some firewood that was laying around. There are no secondary air tubes like the new EPA woodstoves, which is why legally these can only be marketed and sold as "coal stoves."

The wood fire sooted up the door glass terribly and also spills some smoke into the room even with all dampers wide open when you open the door, which I found odd since I have a great draft.

A hot coal burn cleans the soot off the door no problem. Otherwise it seems to burn wood with no real issues. I've been burning nut anthracite in it and getting 12 hour burns no problem the past couple weeks.

But I really just bought this as a stopgap until I get a coal boiler. It replaced a Hearthstone Heritage soapstone woodstove which I can honestly say is the worst stove of all time, period. The Yule Log channel on TV puts off more heat than that thing!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”