SHOULD I GET A BLOWER?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 9:13 am

If I was going to get a blower I would take McGievers advice about the motors that are better but especially because they are quieter. Back when I had a pellet stove the noise got so sickening I hated to even run it. If your hearing is impaired like mine is then fan noise is more than a nuisance.

Every situation is different. Some get by easily with quiet ceiling fans and some with blowers on the stove. Whatever works is the way to go.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 9:26 am

HVAC systems use blowers instead of fans, move more air and quieter. My preference is radiant heat, totally quiet, less dust and doesn't seem as dry.

ratherbeflying
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar MCC
Coal Size/Type: stove, nut, pea
Other Heating: electric baseboard- breakers OFF!!

Post by ratherbeflying » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 10:28 am

so even tho it says speed control not recommended i can use it with a real motor speed control with built-in min.?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 11:09 am

uh huh, yup

choose you needed current or amperage size...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid ... itleDesc=0

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 11:32 am

nice, ill do my best to research and try not to mess this up hahaha

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 7:12 pm

JohnR wrote:
Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 10:25 pm
I'm using this on my Gibraltar LCC:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cooling-Ventil ... AXIAL+1238

It's rated for 110 cfm and drops the stove top temp by about 100 degrees over no fan. It's smaller than the hole in the stove but works well nonetheless. The original fan is quite a bit more powerful and was too much for the smaller room my stove is in. I do seem to get more heat out of it using a fan.

BTW I started burning coal about a month ago and all of the advice on this forum has been invaluable in what to look for in a stove, how to install it, and how to run it. Thanks to all! Your posts, ratherbeflying have been especially helpful in deciding on a Gibraltar and in the particulars of our stoves.

-John

ok well thats pretty awesome! im shocked it doesnt melt or over heat back there! is it mounted? or just in front of the hole? im so glad ive been helpful thats pretty cool considering i just started burning coal 4 months ago! lol i wish i had the LCC that thing is amazing! where did you find one?!?!?! i dont think i would need it considering my stove heats the house perfectly fine and if i wanted to make the house 100 degrees when its 0 outside i could do that in a day or so lol. so i would think the LCC would be a little over kill hahaa but i still wish it was an LCC lol i just love everything about that stove!

JohnR
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Electric Resistance

Post by JohnR » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 9:26 pm

ratherbeflying wrote:
Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 7:12 pm
ok well thats pretty awesome! im shocked it doesnt melt or over heat back there! is it mounted? or just in front of the hole? im so glad ive been helpful thats pretty cool considering i just started burning coal 4 months ago! lol i wish i had the LCC that thing is amazing! where did you find one?!?!?! i dont think i would need it considering my stove heats the house perfectly fine and if i wanted to make the house 100 degrees when its 0 outside i could do that in a day or so lol. so i would think the LCC would be a little over kill hahaa but i still wish it was an LCC lol i just love everything about that stove!
Yes, your questions didn't just help you! With the airflow from the fan it's cooler than you would think back there. Right now the front face of the stove is 467° and the fan housing is 83° (IR gun). It's in front of the hole but the bottom two bolts happen to be the perfect width to hold the fan in place. For me it's a good way to see if a lower cfm fan works for me without spending a lot up front. Since it's working out I'll be looking at a more permanent solution.

The LCC is pretty cool, I got lucky with a local Craigslist ad. Getting it home though, whew! I'm heating 2500-3000sf (depending if I close rooms off) and it's more than enough, I haven't needed to open up the air even halfway. It sounds like the MCC is working great for you, you don't want TOO much overkill!

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 9:59 am

thats so awesome! im glad i my questions helped, its cool seeing people start coal for the first time i really hope many more people make the switch and make this boom again like it was back in my parents day. i am so impressed with it and it really is a no brainer especially people burning wood.
im shocked the fan doesnt get too hot when its not on.. like i said its like 200* back there without a fan. i just feel like a fan would help with coal usage, but then again it also seems like it could be logical that its the same just throwing the heat farther away? lol i just feel like its not complete without one. haha just like i would like to install a baro for the hot burning cold days and maybe also a mpd to help keep the heat in the stove, and some secondary air ports for the warm days to help me run lower and maybe even a bi metallic... i would imagine allll of that installed compared to not having any of it should save me a notable amount of coal..

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm kicking myself for burning wood for 15 years after seeing how cheap, easy, and less work coal is in comparison. I installed with both a baro and an MPD. In my case the MPD makes a huge difference. The stove doesn't throw nearly as much heat with the MPD open as it does closed.

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 8:32 am

ill have to get both a mpd and a baro for next season! can i install a mpd in the stove collar?

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 7:37 pm

I don't think mounting it in the collar would work. There are two opposite holes in the collar of the LCC, but they're a much larger diameter than the shaft of the MPD. I assume it's the same on your MCC. I put screws through them to secure the stove pipe to the stove.

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 8:49 pm

yes it is the same on the mcc, which is why i thought putting the mpd there would work.... if the holes are larger then the shaft on the mpd then why wouldnt it work? if the collar wasnt there the shaft would go right through the stove pipe, so what the difference if it goes through the collar also? also holding the stove pipe in the stove via mpd shaft....

JohnR

Post by JohnR » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 9:13 pm

You might be able to assemble it that way if the MPD doesn't interfere with the crimp on the end of the stove pipe. But the pipe and or the MPD would be loose because the shaft isn't tight in the holes in the collar. I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum that an MPD should be a foot above the stove, I could be wrong about that. Other more experienced members might be able to comment on the most efficient location of the MPD.

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:12 am

JohnR wrote:
Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 9:13 pm
You might be able to assemble it that way if the MPD doesn't interfere with the crimp on the end of the stove pipe. But the pipe and or the MPD would be loose because the shaft isn't tight in the holes in the collar. I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum that an MPD should be a foot above the stove, I could be wrong about that. Other more experienced members might be able to comment on the most efficient location of the MPD.
the shaft would be tight in the stove pipe just as it would be if it was above the collar, no? if thats true that it has to be a foot above the stove i dont think i can fit in the mpd and a baro, my stove pipe is ran pretty stupid its like literally 3 bends, no straight... horrible i want to change it one day but that would be a pretty huge job, i think i would make it go out of the house a few feet higher in the wall than it is.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”