harman mark3 grates

Clark101

Post by Clark101 » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 9:36 am

hello just bought a nice Harman mark3 coal stove/wood..when I bought it the shaker handle worked but the grates were not hardly moving,,so I took all the brick out of the front and both sides,,as I was taking the left side out the grate retainer just broke,,it was most likely cracked already cause it just fell in my ash tray..so I cleaned entire inside of stove and got a replacemt retainer and now the grates just will not go in place.??? I noticed when I first ook out they were very tight..i don't know what to do..you would think they would just fall into place.??

Clark101

Post by Clark101 » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 10:08 am

I assume theres different length grates?..mines are like 21 3/4 and I'm seeing some online thst are 20in??

urhstry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman Verti-flow
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut
Other Heating: OWB

Post by urhstry » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 4:24 am

Is it possible the sides of the stove are bowed inward from improper use? Put a straight edge on the outside and check. If all is fine, check to make sure all three grates are the same. I know I have had the same issue but after playing with it for a while, they always went in. The usual suspect is ash tightening things up but you already said you cleaned it up.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:52 pm

Sorry I didn't see this until today.
Mine are 20".
I didn't take them out to measure, so the 20" length on mine is not counting the pivot bars on the ends.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”