Hand Fired Stove location

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Thinking about moving my 50-93. I posted in another thread about replacing my oil fired water heater with a power vented LP job which would open up an 8x8 chimney.

My stove is currently hooked into my 12x12 fireplace flue and parked in front of my fireplace on the other side of the basement as the 8x8 chimney. The 8x8 is right by my steps that come down into the basement. Where my stove is located it currently does a pretty good job of the heat naturally convecting through the house. If I were to go through with this and move the stove to the 8x8 chimney by the steps do you think I should expect better or worse heat transfer? I can feel the cool air running across the floor from the steps to my stove currently. Im afraid maybe I would create a hot air block if I move it closer to the steps?? Does anyone have any input on this or maybe have a stove located near a flight of steps??

The thought behind all this is to regain use of the fireplace and or to park the Jotul 118 wood stove in front of the fireplace. I love the look of that little stove and it can really blast the heat although the blast only lasts about 6 hours :yes: The wife really likes running that stove too so thats a plus and I got wood out the gazoo right now (white oak and locust :D )

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Heres a shot of the fireplace and jotul. Now picture the 50--93 there as thats where it lives while its in use.

Attachments

IMG_2426.JPG

Jotul 118 action shot

.JPG | 599.9KB | IMG_2426.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG

action shot of fireplace burning wood and Pitt Lump Bit

.JPG | 481.6KB | IMG_1968.JPG

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Heres the hitzer

Attachments

image.jpg

50-93 as we speak

.JPG | 651.7KB | image.jpg
image.jpg

Where the hitzer would sit if moved. Paneling is stair way

.JPG | 794.1KB | image.jpg

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 6:51 pm

surrounding junk would be moved to accomodate the clearances to combustibles of course. Stove would basically sit under that cabinet on the wall (cabinet would be removed) centered between the door to the outside and current water heater location. The stair way opens up about halfway down just out of site of the picture.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Gosh I love those 118's. Is that on old one, or a newer one with 2ndary air tubes in it? Sounds like an old one with 6 hour burn times.

Hard to beat looking at a fire place too. I'm partial to sitting close to one, and eating my Haddock dinner near one, at Cracker Barrel. I know they waste heat, but those at the Barrel throw some heat too...all the way to the front glass when they've got 'er stoked up real good. Can run you out of there sometimes.

If I ever build a house it will have a fire place and hearth that Cracker Barrel big in it, samee size and style too. I just love it...love it's functionality how they have it set up to cook with...big enough to fit a stove in there if you ever decide to do that. I think I'll just take up residence at Cracker Barrel. I can get 3 good squares there a day that just fits my style of fine dining and when the wifey wants to shop...WELL, goodness gracious...what more could a man ask for. :lol: Hey, you know what they say..."Happy wife, happy life." LOL! If I took up residence there she wouldn't have to buy anything. Dang! That's an idea, for sure.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Are those warming shelves on that 118? Or, are those andirons in the fireplace?

Sorry I side-tracked your thread.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Its an old school Jotul 118 smoke dragon. It was made in 1980 in Oslo Norway. The stove is a piece of art work. Best part is the couple that had it burned it the winter of 1980 and never again. They GAVE it to me last year because they were moving into a retirement home. I never even met these folks prior. It was a friend of a friend type deal. Their generosity was unbelievable. I almost felt ashamed just taking it but they insisted.

On top of the stove is two cast iron pots full of water. The things that look like shelves are the handles to my fireplace screen. Im too cheap to pay 100 bucks for a 8x10 piece of screen so that will have to do for the few times I burn it open.

What I really need is to sell the oil water heater to put coal stove in its place. Make fireplace a fireplace again, and find somewhere that I can add another chimney to hook the jotul to permanently!!

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Jan. 03, 2019 7:22 am

Heres another question also. Where the oil burner pipe currently enters the chimney is 6" from the floor joists. This is single wall pipe. There is a piece of sheetmetal that extends out from the wall that is between the stove pipe and the wall. Should this provide proper heat protection from the pipe to the floor joists? Or should I make that part of the chimney double wall pipe? I just want to make sure its safely installed. Thanks

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jan. 03, 2019 9:40 am

Double wall and a shield...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jan. 03, 2019 10:07 am

Rather than double wall I would just add a shield onto the smoke pipe. A section of smoke pipe sheet metal spaced one inch away. The joist could also be shielded.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Jan. 03, 2019 7:25 pm

Ok so one vote for double and a shield and one vote for pipe shield and ceiling shield. Do they make fittings for pipe shields (like a 90 deg. Pipe shield piece) ?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jan. 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Just a piece of smoke pipe with a hole in each corner and a machine screw and nut through it to hold it off the pipe being shielded. Can just be rested on a horizontal pipe or if must be fastened, some holes in the shielded pipe and nuts to hold it off.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Fri. Jan. 04, 2019 8:39 pm

sounds like it would definietly be a cheaper option. Now I gotta see if I can find someone to buy my oil water heater, my relatively new tank, and a all but new spare beckett AF burner. Then I can slide the hitzer across the basement and try it on a 8x8 with a baro damper. Will be interesting to see how it performs if all comes to fruition

Lobuc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon
Coal Size/Type: Stove bituminous

Post by Lobuc » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 9:17 pm

If it's only 6" to joists then it should be insulated class a chimney. A 24g sheet metal shield can reduce clearance to 6" at walls but it's 9" at ceiling. I believe some double wall stove pipe can get it down to 8" at ceiling.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”