Hitzer 503 grates

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Wed. Dec. 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Well heck broke down today and ordered 2 new grates and a shaker handle for my insert.
The old grates are getting well worn on the shaker nubs, bought a new shaker handle last year and it's all beat out and getting hard to use.
That was a quick $130 dollars but it will be nice to be able to shake down gently without worrying so much.

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Thu. Dec. 27, 2018 7:18 am

Lou
I have a Hitzer 503 too. To avoid the problem you describe I do two things. I grease the inside of the shaker handle 2 to 3 times a week to cut down friction and I use a long blade we call the riddler to clear ash prior to shaking. This cuts down on the amount of shaking required while tending and limits handle and grate wear. Search the site for my posts on this subject. It really works.
Gian4

LouNY

Post by LouNY » Thu. Dec. 27, 2018 9:47 am

Gian4
Do you have any pictures of the tool (blade) that you are using?
I couldn't seem to find any.

from your posts in Jan of 2018;
"Hi All Just received my riddle tool from Chris of CD industries. He made it to my specs and the workmanship is first rate. Previously I had been using a repurposed poker. This tool cuts through ash like butter. It does a much better job of ash removal then shaking alone. A weak point of the Hitzer i..."
Wow
"I would need the junior version of that for my insert. That would be 25in. long from handle to tip. To fit through the grate access opening on my insert it could only be 1/2in. wide. The metal thickness would be best at 3/16in.
Don't know if that would be doable for you."

Are you going in thru the ash door and on top of the grates thru the slot the grates rock in?
Thanks
Lou

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Fri. Dec. 28, 2018 6:59 am

Hi Lou
Yes I use my riddle tool by inserting it through the grate frame where the grate shaker nipples come through. After riddling I only have to lightly shake the grates greatly cutting down wear of the grate ends and shaker handle. Also applying an all purpose grease to the handle cup 2 or 3 times a week will also cut down wear. I riddle twice a day but only shake down once a day. I also only refill with coal after tending to the stove ash to keep weight off the grates. Some people add coal before tending but I think this adds more weight to the grates making it harder to shake down and accelerating wear of handle and grate ends. I'll include a link to a thread that has a picture of the tool I use. It was made by a member here named Chris who has a fabricating business called CD industries. I'll include a contact link also. He's a good guy with very reasonable prices.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Gian4
Riddle Method for Ash Clearing
Riddle Method for Ash Clearing
Post by cdindustries - Coal tools and parts

cdindustries
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Daka 521
Coal Size/Type: stove

Post by cdindustries » Fri. Dec. 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Gian4 Thanks for the mention. How is your riddle tool holding up?

LouNY you have a PM waiting.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Dec. 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Yes how is the 503 riddler working out...
Have the new to me 503 hooked up...
Need an assist with the shake downs...

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Chris
My pleasure to send folks in your direction. You do good work. The riddle tool is showing some slight wear on the razor teeth tips but no more then I would expect given the task it performs. I'd say it's got at least a few more seasons before I need to replace it. The job it does compared to shaking alone is just remarkable. Each fire burns almost as well as the season start up due to the more complete ash removal it accomplishes vs shaking alone. It also save wear and tear on grate ends and shaker handle.
Hi Cape. I can't describe how much better the stove burns with this ash clearing method. You can click on the links I provided in this thread for more info and feel free to ask if you have more questions. The riddler that Chris makes works far better then anything else I have used for this task. I am happy with mine so I recommend if you get one, make it to my specs for your 503.
You guys have a warm and safe New Year.
Gian4

cdindustries
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Daka 521
Coal Size/Type: stove

Post by cdindustries » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Glad to hear it is serving you well.

CapeCoaler, I sent you a PM.

LouNY

Post by LouNY » Sat. Jan. 05, 2019 6:51 am

Well my new grates and shaker handle are sitting on the kitchen table as I type, they came in a couple of days ago.
Thanks Gian4 for the information on the riddler.
Chris thanks for the response and getting the riddler shipped to me, I have used it twice now
it is working good.
Now I just have to decide when to let the coal burn out to change the grates out.

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Sat. Jan. 05, 2019 9:09 am

Suppose to be warmer today. Might be a good day for the switch. If you use the riddler 2x a day ,keep that shaker handle cup greased and only shake down once a day I think you'll notice quite an increase in grate and handle longevity.
Gian4

LouNY

Post by LouNY » Sat. Jan. 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Tought about doing it today, but applying polyurethane to some new wood on the walls in one room today with cross ventilation going on the heat feels good.
I got 6 years out of this first set of grates, if I get six out of this set I'll most likely
be contemplating ending coal burning.
The knees don't appreciate getting down on the floor now, hard to contemplate what it'll
be like in a few more years.
I usually only shake down once a day unless it's well below zero, I am considering knifing it a couple of times a day.
Lou

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Sat. Jan. 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Lou, you need a stove you don't have to get down on your knees to tend. That was the reason I got rid of my box coal stove a couple years ago. Find a nice antique cylinder stove , prismatic grates are probably best but I'm having great results with my flat shaker grate using Lehigh nut., problem solved

LouNY

Post by LouNY » Sat. Jan. 05, 2019 3:28 pm

If I change houses I may think about a different stove,
at this time I'm using the insert and fireplace chimmney.
It would be considerable expense and remodeling to put a stove in.
I know that one of these days I will need to move when I can't take
care of things. Such as a 1/4 mile steep driveway as well as the auxiliary heat.

LouNY

Post by LouNY » Wed. Jan. 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Well put the new grates in yesterday.
Went pretty good, didn't add any coal the night before,
just knifed it, knifed it a couple of times during the while I was putting
the last coat of polyurethane on my wall, opened the ash door up for about an hour and kept knifing it till it burnt out.
Dumped all the clinkers and ash used my welders gloves popped the grates out new grates in,
a bag of match lite and off she went by 6 last night had the stove and hopper full and she was pushing heat.
Only down for a few minutes did have to work a bit carefully that hopper and the bricks where still pretty warm.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Jan. 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Better fit on the grate crank...
How is that riddler workin'...
Thinking about upgrading my slicer...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”