Slag on firebrick?

The Old Wolf
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Acme, around 1900

Post by The Old Wolf » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 8:30 am

My wife scored a beautiful old coal stove on freecycle, and I spent 8 months or so restoring it.

It's been heating our house delightfully for two years, but I notice that over time, the inside is building up a crust of slag on the firebrick. It seems quite resistant to being chipped off, and I fear that if I go at it too enthusiastically I'll damage the firebrick beyond repair. This is an oldie so I don't know if the brick can be replaced.

Any thoughts would be welcome, and thanks for your time.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 8:37 am

Can you get in there with a 4" grinder? If so, you could use a diamond blade to " scrape" or cut off the slag without beating on the bricks...

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 8:59 am

When you shut down in the spring you can fabricate new bricks from readily available refractory materials.

http://www.nockrefractories.com

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 9:14 am

Some of the clinker slag is relatively soft and you can file it off with a carpenters rasp file.

Some is iron oxide and very hard. That is where a grinder will need to be used.

There is one method that worked for me, but you have to be very careful and go slowly. By carefully tapping with an old carpenter's chisel and a small hammer I was able to get off a lot of the clinker slag on the 100+ year old firebricks of my range's firebox. But, you can't angle the chisel into the bricks or they will crack. You have to use the chisel almost parallel to the brick surface so the force of the light blows is being absorbed along the brick's length, where it's strongest, and not crosswise to it's thickness, where it's weakest. And you have to work the chisel in around the edges of the highest points, not just try to cut them off from one direction.

In a few areas the slag had eaten into the brick face and took out some brick with them. I filled those areas flush and smooth with Hercules furnace cement from Lowes. Brush clean and then wet the bricks first so that you get a good bond with the cement. Let dry 24 hours.

Paul

The Old Wolf
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Acme, around 1900

Post by The Old Wolf » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 9:23 am

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”