nut coal sizes ,,,,are there burn differences?

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Tue. Dec. 11, 2018 7:58 am

I have three different bagged coal brands in the garage. I've been burning TS "Premium" brand which typically has walnut size pieces of coal. Last night I opened a bag of Kimmel's which typically has pieces that are much larger ..maybe double the size. I can't discern much difference in the way each burn. Your thoughts please?

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Tue. Dec. 11, 2018 8:06 am

This years Kimmels nut is much larger than in the past. in previous years had pieces the size of walnuts, maybe just a bit bigger. This year we have pieces 2 or 3x that size - I mean big chunks of coal. So much bigger that even my kids said wow this is way bigger than last years coal.
I have not noticed any difference in burning. Burns great.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 11, 2018 8:18 am

Larger coal allows for more air flow giving more heat but will also burn up faster. The sizing you require really depends on your situation, if you were in a really windy area you may want to even consider pea coal. Another option is mixing the pea with the nut, this is called range.
keegs wrote:
Tue. Dec. 11, 2018 7:58 am
Last night I opened a bag of Kimmel's which typically has pieces that are much larger..maybe double the size.
Are you sure that is not labeled stove coal? Nut coal is going to be golf ball sized plus, once it gets into the baseball sized pieces it's stove coal.

keegs

Post by keegs » Tue. Dec. 11, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks Gents... The Kimmel's bag labels it as nut coal. The best I can describe the size is somewhere between stove and nut.
The house faces south and is set back in a field about 1/4 mile off the road and about 300 ft in front of a stand of "largish" trees. There's almost always a breeze (keeps the bugs down in summer) and it can get pretty windy. Bought my first ten bags of Blashack coal at Center Farms in Easton ...the lady that runs the office there recommended I buy a bag of pea coal explaining it might be easier to work with. I still have it and will try mixing it in with the Kimmel's.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Odd sizing is nothing new with the Kimmel's coal. This week I'm burning the last 6 bags of the Kimmel's Nut that I got from Tractor Supply the first year they offered coal. Sizing ranges from standard nut to almost baseball size chunks.

AMbully

Post by AMbully » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 12:54 am

I'm driving up to central Michigan tomorrow to buy 67 bags of Kimmels at 3.50 a bag! Craigslist find. Hour and thirty minutes from my house in Ohio. Are you happy with Kimmels? Only coal I have used this far is what they carry at TSC. Miners choice? I've been thinking of trying stove size so maybe I'll be happy with the inconsistency I've heard about the size of Kimmels nut.

keegs

Post by keegs » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 5:04 am

That's about a buck fifty savings...I'd do it as long as the roads were clear. The Kimmel's I have in bags is large ...somewhere between nut and stove. I'm not a pro but I found it easier to burn. I think it's because at that size it doesn't pack as densely in the pot. Just have to keep the combustion air slot on my Chubby down to 1/8" or thereabouts.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”