Ceiling fan air circulation.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 6:00 pm

In this house... the ceiling fan stays blowing down...all year long. I haven’t played with it yet, and probably won’t because I’m satisfied with it.

With the ranch I just remodeled, my home of 40 years, we always blew them down...and even with 3 a/c units the ceilings were always hot in summer. The house would be cool, but stick your hand near the ceilings and heat was blasting through. No wonder electric bill was so high.

No trees around that house. Even though it felt colder blowing down on us, that fan had to be pulling residual heat off of the ceiling, at least some. Fast forward after the remodel and added insulation to R-38...

...and I changed my mind and reversed them towards the ceiling ... for fall, winter, spring, until mid July when the house sold...this year. Not just by my account, but even by the new owners the house remained cool with zero A/C...and nothing but 4 ceiling fans set to low...all blowing towards the ceiling.

Think about it...
With way more insulation between the hot attic and the interior of the house what little heat was coming through the ceiling... which was minimal by feel whereas before insulating was a great amount by feel...the fans were sucking the coldest air off of the floor and constantly recirculating it keeping the ceiling much cooler even in low 90 temps outside. The house wasn’t necessarily cool if you got to moving around in there, but it stayed around 75 because night time temps were staying cool at the time. Not only did the new owner verify this but also...

...I went from two 8000 btu units and a 15000btu unit to a single 8000 that the new owner got to keep and finally put it in. This of course was with a house full of furniture and occupied. So, there are several variables in this scenario.

This house is different...lots of trees on east and south side...good attic insulation, and covered porch surrounding most of the house. So, the fan blowing down all year is fine.

Moral of the story...regardless of theory...try different things to see what suits you best. I use to believe all the theory... all the directions from fan manufacturers. Now I try things and decide for myself.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”