Helping a friend with a Harman TLC2000

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 9:07 am

So a buddy of mine bought a house and it has a coal stove in the basement. I volunteered to help him learn it and as a housewarming present (literally) I'll bring him a bag of coal. Some questions for you guys

1. I figured Id get him stove coal size bag as thats probably the easiest to light off and get going.
2. I was going to also get a small bag of match light charcoal and once a nice charcoal fire is lit, start to slowly add coal to the stove and transfer the fire to anthracite.
3. When adding new coal after a shakedown of the ashes, it is that important to leave a bit of the fire-bed visible; to light off volatiles ? I've seen guys just fill up the firebox to the max height with fresh coal
4. Any tips of how to prevent a puff-back?
5. Any suggestions/tips on this stove model?

Im glad that my friend is going to give it a shot and didnt turn his nose at the coal stove in favor of pellets etc... Im kinda glad I have the opportunity to convert somebody else into coal burning so I want the experience to go as smoothly as possibly and teach this guy the best method. Thank for any help.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Thu. Dec. 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Best way to prevent a puff back is just leave some hot coal exposed to act as a pilot light.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Dec. 20, 2018 1:43 pm

There have been quite a few posts on this exact stove in the last month. So besides the answers you get, you may want to do a forum search, a title only search, for them. Or just page thru the hand fire stove section for them as they are recent.

If he doesnt have any coal in his house now, 1 bag wont really last long and may or may not even fill the firebox. I saw one of these stoves once but have never used one. Nice looking stove and it seems most people like them that use them.

If any unforeseen problems after lighting he or you can post on here and if its anything serious there is usually a quick response from someone. At least one CO detector is a must and a pale of sand to put out the fire if neccesary would be wise also.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Dec. 20, 2018 8:16 pm

I'd start with nut, rather than stove...

harmontlc2000
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000, Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: FHA Oil Burner

Post by harmontlc2000 » Wed. Dec. 26, 2018 10:02 am

Hi NJJoe, we've been using a TLC2000 for about 8 years. The single biggest thing we've had issues with is the brand of coal. We've tried Kimmels, Reading, Tractor Supply and Blaschak. Blaschak nut size works great for us. we've have had a lot of trouble with clinkers and jammed grates with the other brands. I honesty don't know the the difference but we have very few problems with Blaschak. Don't rock the grates all the way or your asking for trouble and you'll need work the ash down along the sides of the stove as it tends to build up there. The first year we had the stove we ran it pretty hard and just about burned up the coal bars in the front on the stove. We added a second stove in the kitchen the next year and have only had to replace them once since then. The only other issue we had was with the glass. We replaced it cause of crazing ( which I now know doesn't harm the glass ) we replaced it and soon had the new one crack. Replaced it again and cracked another. Turns out that was my fault for not replacing the glass gasket and I had an air leak over the glass that caused the glass to break. If you change the glass replace the gasket. We've been very happy with the stove and run about 4 tons thru it each winter without trouble, these are very forgiving stoves once you get to understand them.

Tajsultani
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing I
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Weso
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut & Rice

Post by Tajsultani » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 7:42 pm

I just bought a TLC 2000 this summer (made by Alternate Heat now). I really like it. I had two issues with it so far - one, the ash door wanted to fall off easily -they make it so you an take it off, but this thing just kept coming off on it's own when I opened it I also had the shaker "stabilizer thingy". come loose and jam.

I am 58, female, hate dealing with anything mechanical, so I complained to AHS and told them the issues - to me, this is mfg. issue and I don't think the dealers tell the mfg. about these kind of things, so they never get looked at or improved on next stove. I am currently off work, fell and dislocated/fractured my shoulder in 3 places, so nothing is easy - including fixing loose pieces on stoves. I am very happy to say AHS sent someone out on New Years Day to look at and fix both issues. Surprised the heck out of me, expected to get the "call your dealer", etc. - or no response at all.

One thing the mfr rep told me - GENTLY poke the coals a couple times before shaking down - they sometimes get hot enough they meld together and form what they call bridges -keeps the ash from falling down.

One trick I have learned with starting the coal stove is if in a hurry, use one of those prefab logs - Stax or Enviro are two good ones. Avoid the ones that say for firepaces/chimineas only - no airtight stoves. I put one in, light it, and wait till it's burning good and then put some coal on top/around, wait a little, add more, and then do as normal. DO NOT poke the log, they will flare up and flames shoot everywhere.

Lobuc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon
Coal Size/Type: Stove bituminous

Post by Lobuc » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 2:07 am

We bought ours new about 7 years ago and had never burned coal prior. We use about 4-6 ton a year and prefer the biggest bituminous we can get. I keep ours running 24/7 fall through spring, we tend to burn more wood when temps are in the teens or warmer although it's not as efficient. Some things we have learned:
1.start with a wood fire then add a few pieces of coal but don't smother, when that takes off add more. Just add a layer at time don't dump a big load in it just smokes and a greater chance for puff backs.
2. shake in rapid very short strokes and often it likes to breathe.
3. Sometimes we open ash door for a few minutes after adding to get it to take off quicker. Just don't forget to close or can get an over fire.
4. If you see smoke lingering in stove in an established fire then shake it down and or open up the air adjustment. I call that a lazy fire and your putting excessive smoke out chimney.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:15 am

I'll second the nut instead of stove coal.

rmishler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman tlc
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Ecomiser
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by rmishler » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 6:36 pm

hello my name is rob i live in south western pa. we get some weather here. i got a used harman tlc 2000 about a week ago. i have been running it continuously with anthracite nut coal. my problem is i can't get the stove temp over 400, it typically runs around 300. it is heating my house only into the mid to upper 60's at full open. my wife and baby like it 70. i am wondering if it could be the top seal or door seal. the house is a ranch with full basement where the stove is located. about 2200 square feet. i am using the blower, good nut coal. am i expecting too much?

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 8:26 pm

rmishler wrote:
Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 6:36 pm
hello my name is rob i live in south western pa. we get some weather here. i got a used harman tlc 2000 about a week ago. i have been running it continuously with anthracite nut coal. my problem is i can't get the stove temp over 400, it typically runs around 300. it is heating my house only into the mid to upper 60's at full open. my wife and baby like it 70. i am wondering if it could be the top seal or door seal. the house is a ranch with full basement where the stove is located. about 2200 square feet. i am using the blower, good nut coal. am i expecting too much?
I would check the top door gasket first. Take a dollar bill and open the door. Put the dollar bill half way in the stove door, close the stove door. if the bill pulls out easily your gasket needs replacing. Any gasket can be tested that way I think. If it has a top door make sure you dont get any small bits of coal on that gasket or it wont seal tight either. If you pass the gasket test come back here and you'll hear other suggestions from people but start with the simple stuff first.

You should be able to run it hotter than that, hotter than you would ever want it to run if working right.

rmishler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman tlc
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Ecomiser
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by rmishler » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 8:54 pm

thanks. i thought of the gaskets because when i close the top door i can hear metal hit metal and i figured the gasket should prevent that.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 9:03 pm

Maybe the gasket is gone completely. i did forget to say to do that dollar test around the whole door. You should be able to pull the bill out (or not) but it shouldnt pull out easily.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”