Legacy TLC 2000

Sjm594
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Sjm594 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Hello all,
I recently had a legacy tlc 2000 stove installed in my basement. Ive been burning nut coal in it and i love it. However that being said i am new to this coal burning. I always used wood growing up but when I bought my house i decided to use coal. My question is once i load the stove up to the fire brick what should i set my secondary air to. I have it half way and when i go down to check it i see a roaring fire. Also how many times should i shake the stove

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Primary combustion air for coal is from the bottom, the instructions say the secondary air is closed for anthracite and can be opened slightly if burning soft, bituminous coal or coal with substantial volatiles which anthracite should not have. It can also be opened when using a wood fire to start the coal just to help keep the glass clean.
Hope this helps

thegreatone
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Currently: Hitzer 30-95 Previously:TLC2000, Hitzer 82, Warm Morning 400A
Coal Size/Type: rice/nut

Post by thegreatone » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 8:07 pm

I always kept the secondary air (slides on the side) closed all the way down and the air on the ash door at the first and second line depending on how cold it was.

I would shake it once every 24hrs.

Do you have a blower?

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 9:30 pm

I had the same stove last season. It truly is an awesome stove for burning both wood and coal. The front side slides is glass door airwash air which are used for burning wood. The slides allow just enough air when closed to just keep the glass clean when burning coal. The air slide in the ash door is the control to use when burning coal by itself. It has notch marks on the slide. For 40-50-55 degree weather on the lowest notch I could get 36-48 hours from it before having to refill it. When it was colder I had it set to about the 3rd notch and would refill it at about 24 hours with a small unnecessary shake at @12 hours.
I really liked the stove. I had planned to buy the BBQ grille attachment. For me and emergency service work I wasn't able to 'babysit' the stove for the time required to load it every night. Overall it was an awesome stove that pumped out some serious heat.

Seagrave1963
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace

Post by Seagrave1963 » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 5:38 am

I've been burning with a TLC for a few years now and after learning how to run it, have a nice toasty home. Like Spacecadet said the side slides are primarily for burning wood as wood needs air above to burn (opening the lower vent on the door will make wood burn like a rocket and is good for getting a dieing wood fire going again). I have found that my primary air (lower vent on door) only needs to be open about 1/4 to 1/3 at the most to maintain a ~2200sqf Cape Cod. We also have the blower that pushes the heated air out much more efficiently than just convection.

BTW - the grill accessory is awesome! Nothing better than a grilled Porterhouse when there's a blizzard happening!

Sjm594

Post by Sjm594 » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 11:55 am

Thank you all for the feedback. Yes the stove has a blower on it. Being a old wood stover I find myself messing with the stove too often. Ie. Poking and stiring the stove. Is that a bad thing to do? Ive heard when it comes to coal its pretty much set it and forget it but i find my coal fire burning low time to time and after reloading i find its taking more time to catch up. I have one ton of nut coal in a steel bin in my garage it been treated and it is dry. I guess its not the coal its the operator

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 2:38 pm

The time it takes for it to wake back up is prolly close to accurate. I do emergency calls after hours and couldn't do the 'needed tend time'. What seemed to work best for me was loading it in layers and leaving one corner/area unfilled so it would have a spot for the gases to ignite without a backflash. If I didn't fiddle with it too much I could get it fulley loaded in about 30 minutes but as an old wood burner myself I seemed to poke and prod a little too muchand then . It usually took me about an hour to get her happy again. One other thing I would do is the coal I bought typically had wood chunks in it. I would poke them in the coal bed to aide in refilling.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 5:56 pm

You dont want to poke or stir often at a anthracite fire except on the edges if the ash isnt falling, or the coal didnt fall down onto your fire. It does more harm than good.

Get your fire burning hot before loading and it will take off quicker. Unsure with your stove if you want it real hot when shaking out ashes or not, or the routine thats needed, but if its hotter when you add coal it will take off quicker.

Im betting you could call Legacy with any concerns too, things that we dont know.

Seagrave1963

Post by Seagrave1963 » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Sjm594 - if you haven't run across this video, it was made and posted by a past member Devil505 and I found it to be very helpful. Also, I was quite the impatient lad when I first started using the TLC and have found that shaking it down and reloading in the morning and then again in the evening has worked well on the coldest days. On the warmer ends of the season, it may go a full 24 hours or only need a slight shake and top off in the evening. Over time, we got to know what it needed and now have very few problems and find it to be therapeutic!

Enjoy the vid (and "Thanks" again to Devil505 for sharing it with the NEPA community!)
Harman TLC 2000 shake down.wmv
.WMV | 34.4MB | Harman TLC 2000 shake down.wmv

Sjm594

Post by Sjm594 » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 8:35 pm

New question. I lit my stove using wood. Added coal a little at a time had it all catch and burn. Then filled her up to the top of the brick closed it up and had nice blue flames. Now after an hour or so I walk down to check it and i have no blue flames, when i look in the stove i see unburnt coal on top and look down and see sime glowing coal. I open the ash door and its all aglow. Shouldnt there be the blue flames on top? Did i kill my fire? Secondary air is closed off and primary is at the 2nd 3rd notch

Seagrave1963

Post by Seagrave1963 » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 5:40 am

That is how our stove looks when running low and the bed is full after a couple of hours. A few hours later, there will be a nice red glow as the upper layers begin to burn. I found that when running low, I don't fill it up as much and the dancing blue ladies appear.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”