BEST/CHEAPEST COAL IN TRISTATE AREA? NJ/PA/NY

ratherbeflying
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar MCC
Coal Size/Type: stove, nut, pea
Other Heating: electric baseboard- breakers OFF!!

Post by ratherbeflying » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 12:32 pm

just looking to see who you guys recommend for coal in north jersey, PA, NY area? i am in the middle of sussex county nj but im willing to go an hour or so like i am expecting i have to for a decent bag of coal... right now my only thing available is WILSON coal in sparta, which is $360 a ton of nut delivered in a big canvas bag with a draw string on top.... the coal honestly seems to be as good as it would get quality although i really dont have much to compare to besides my other option of TRACTOR SUPPLY 40# bags which are cheaper honestly at $6.30 a bag = $315/ton but its not delivered... the bad thing about tractor supply is honestly just the amount of fines... i get a solid cup or 2 of fines per bag..... im not sure how normal that is nor am i sure how much fines will be on the bottom of the ton bag i have outside, i didnt get down that far yet, still another 500# left about.... any incite on the preceding would be greatly appreciated!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Hop over the PA boarder and go direct to Lehigh, or one of the other eastern PA coal mines/breakers and load up. I doubt you'll get it cheaper through any dealer.

Paul

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 3:20 pm

cheapest i found so far is American Premium Coal Sales in Tamaqua PA at 160/ton picked up. anyone find it cheaper or have used these guys? its a 2 hour ride for me.... i dont even know what i would put the coal in to get it off the truck ?!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Do you have a truck and or trailer (or a good friend that works for beer & gas money that has one) to get a couple ton on a trip?

As far as getting it off when you get home....

Shoveling will save on health club membership fees! :clap: Took me an hour to shovel 1 ton of rice into the bunker. I need to fix my feed shovel, this coal shovel is good for buckets but not for unloading.
20181201_095553.jpg
.JPG | 44.9KB | 20181201_095553.jpg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 3:44 pm

And if you get bagged coal at 40 lbs each it doesn't take long to offload ( 50 bags per one ton pallet).

And you can just leave the coal outside, either bulk or bagged, and it will be fine. You might want to just throw a cheap tarp over the pile to keep it from getting too wet and freezing together.

And, no need to dry it to use it - wet coal burns fine.

Paul

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 8:57 am

i cant stand the amount of fines from bagged coal, i feel like alot of fines are going to ruin the integrity of the fire? i would imagine they would turn to ash pretty quickly and restrict air flow... when i am loading from a bag sometimes i get a full scoop of fines or more and i always try to sift it out. i try to dump my fines in a separate bucket and when it gets full i sift through it with 1/2" chicken wire and im left with a solid 20# of decent coal.... anyone else have any input on their experience or habits with fines?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 9:09 am

My view on fines from a few decades of burning coal. There is heat in those fines that were paid for. It you dump a lot of fines on a fire, yes it will slow it down, or even stall it..... but..... if you use them carefully, you'll get your moneys worth out of them.

Fines have many uses you can easily learn to live with, such as........

If a baseball sized amount is placed into the center of a glowing firebed, like as if it was a large piece of coal, they will burn and not hinder the firebed.

They can be poured in small "clumps" over the top of a firebed to slow the fire down when it gets too hot.

They can be used to "bank" a firebed for a long, slow burn if you need to leave for a longer time than the usual refueling/ash shaking tending intervals.

The fines can be spread on icy driveways and side walks. In spring they will wash off into the grass and not harm anything.

BTW, while there is always some amount of fines in bagged or bulk coal - even the washed bulk I get - not all brands of bagged coal have a lot of fines. Some more than others.

You can see which are which by reading the coal review threads. In my experience, Tractor Supply bagged coal had a lot of fines. Blaschak and Lehigh had much less.

Paul

coaledfeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1982 efm df520
Coal Size/Type: Cornwall rice
Other Heating: VC winterwarm wood

Post by coaledfeat » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 9:34 am

I get a yearly 8 ton delivery from Cornwall Coal (near West Point NY). Many generation family business. He uses a high lift truck. One phone call, one check and NO shoveling. Check website for info and phone and price. He uses zones for

delivery charge. Save your time and back for air time! Good luck, Gary

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 11:31 am

thats pretty cool i never thought to try to burn the fines i just always thought they would burn to fast then leave ashes in the middle of a nice fire bed... ill try it... i read into cornwall they were 231 a ton but i had to pick it up they will not deliver out to me.. so i figured if i had to pick it up i found american premium coal Tamaqua, PA selling for 160/ton picked up... which sounds so good i may just make myself a coal bin and go with a nice big shovel and i hope i live to finish hahaha wondering how much i could safely stuff into a pickup truck hahaha

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 3:40 pm

just bought from American Coal on Limecrest Rd in Lafayette NJ, closest to home, cheapest price AND BEST quality! blows away the quality of Tractor Supply by alot and its even cheaper! and wayyyy cheaper than Wilson and the quality is better!! consistent sizes and barely any fines! Wilson is about 400 a ton. tractor supply is 320 a ton and American coal is 300/ton! very happy! i picked up 60 bags!!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Great Find and thanks for sharing the info for others in your area.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 9:09 am
My view on fines from a few decades of burning coal. There is heat in those fines that were paid for. It you dump a lot of fines on a fire, yes it will slow it down, or even stall it..... but..... if you use them carefully, you'll get your moneys worth out of them.

Fines have many uses you can easily learn to live with, such as........

If a baseball sized amount is placed into the center of a glowing firebed, like as if it was a large piece of coal, they will burn and not hinder the firebed.

They can be poured in small "clumps" over the top of a firebed to slow the fire down when it gets too hot.

They can be used to "bank" a firebed for a long, slow burn if you need to leave for a longer time than the usual refueling/ash shaking tending intervals.

The fines can be spread on icy driveways and side walks. In spring they will wash off into the grass and not harm anything.

BTW, while there is always some amount of fines in bagged or bulk coal - even the washed bulk I get - not all brands of bagged coal have a lot of fines. Some more than others.

You can see which are which by reading the coal review threads. In my experience, Tractor Supply bagged coal had a lot of fines. Blaschak and Lehigh had much less.

Paul
Thanks Paul... I've been noticing more fines in some of the TS bagged coal I've been buying lately. I've just been tossing it in the pot. I'll try your suggestions.

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 9:13 pm

oh and i forgot American Coal sells Lehigh Coal, from Tamaqua PA! No wonder its good!

Bocephous
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III

Post by Bocephous » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 8:04 am

I bought bagged Lehigh coal from New Milford Hardware for $234.50 a ton three weeks ago. Very nice and helpful people to deal with, and while you are undoubtedly out of their delivery range, they delivered 3 ton to my house and unloaded it for $30. http://newmilfordhardware.com/

ratherbeflying

Post by ratherbeflying » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 9:21 am

that place is the same distance from me as lehigh, i would just go to the source at that point and get it for 225 a ton and pick up a few ton on one trip.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”