Chubby Puff Back

gblass1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby

Post by gblass1 » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 8:25 pm

This is my first year with my chubby. I’ve been following Larry’s video For shake down and reload. After shake down when I top it off with Coal I get a lot of offgassing. If I wait too long to crack the door I get a puff back. I’ve tried opening the dog ears on the side to get some air in there to burn off the gases but that doesn’t usually work very well. Any words of wisdom for a new chubby owner on how to get the gas lit to burn it off. By the way I have plenty of draft, almost too much, the baro is usually open unless it’s dead calm out.

Thanks
George

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 8:40 pm

There may be differing opinions but firstly I would put tin foil over the baro until it has quite a few red coals showing on top of the fire. And open the slots on the bottom door or crack the bottom door until, also, it is burning well.

I havent watched Larry's video in a while but I think he fills it, closes the door and leaves it that way letting it catch and burn. I cant remember if he opens the ears. Its when it suddenly gets a shot of fresh air after loading that it will puff back. Again, all that is just my opinion and others will differ. i do not open the ear or top door after loading for quite a while on my Jr.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 8:42 pm

George, a good rule is to never add more coal that what is already burning well in the stove. Try adding about 80% of your coal, and once it is burning brightly, top off the rest. If you don't have time to wait around for the first addition to catch, just leave a small spot of burning coal exposed when you reload - that will act as a pilot light and keep the gasses from building up.

gblass1

Post by gblass1 » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys I’ll give them a try and let you know.

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 8:02 pm

I always open the door slowly at first. I leave a small spot with a flame going and load all around it. I never had a problem. Good luck.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 9:20 pm

I would think loading a Chubby is the same as loading any handfed. I leave one spot of burning coal exposed so it can flame and burn off the gasses. Even after all this time I will still fill the stove too fast once in a while, then I will open the loading door just a bit to let in some overfire air to let the gasses burn off. I've blown up the stove enough times to know when I loaded in too much coal!

gblass1

Post by gblass1 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I have it worked out, I now load the coal leaving an area open toward the back. After loading I close the loading door leaving it open just a crack and open the bottom ash door. Doing this gets the gasses lit in a few minutes. This actually seems to have shortened my tending time by 10 minutes or so and fixed the puff back issue.

Thanks again and happy burning !!!

George

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”