Harman E CW30

FrankenCub
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman E CW30
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired furnace

Post by FrankenCub » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi everyone, new member from UpState NY.
I was looking into changing out my woodstove for a coal stove seems wood is getting a bit rough to work with as my back is fubar. Seen quite a few on Craigslist. Found the CW30 for a great price and could find very little info on till I found this place. Decided to buy it, it's in very good condition and the price was a steal.
First burn was a flop lol. Second burn turned out great after more reading. Man does this thing put out heat! Second good burn was last night but I think I need a baro damper for sure. Even with the stove draft all the way down it heats us out, last night we had windows open and it was around 28 outside.
Looking at the remains of the coal this morning, I let it go out, they looked over fired to me.
From the stove up is stainless double wall pipe and through the ceiling to the top is the stainless insulated. Total length coming out of the roof is probably better than 6'.
Here's a picture of the stove...
20181204_151321.jpg
.JPG | 328.5KB | 20181204_151321.jpg

OldFarmGirl
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman cw30
Coal Size/Type: Pea or nut anthracite

Post by OldFarmGirl » Sat. Sep. 24, 2022 1:32 pm

Do you still have this stove? I have one and am looking for a parts stove. Please let me know either way

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Sep. 24, 2022 7:09 pm

OldFarmGirl wrote:
Sat. Sep. 24, 2022 1:32 pm
Do you still have this stove? I have one and am looking for a parts stove. Please let me know either way
That was the only post the guy ever made ,he's not coming back.

OldFarmGirl

Post by OldFarmGirl » Sat. Sep. 24, 2022 7:56 pm

Dang. Well I am looking for a Harman CW30 for parts, especially glass, if anyone knows of anyone who has one.🙂

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 1:37 am

OldFarmGirl wrote:
Sat. Sep. 24, 2022 7:56 pm
Dang. Well I am looking for a Harman CW30 for parts, especially glass, if anyone knows of anyone who has one.🙂
Glass, you can buy new glass.

OldFarmGirl

Post by OldFarmGirl » Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 5:07 am

Unfortunately, the outer glass is curved borosilicate, and is no longer available. I have even tried to find a glass blower who slumps Pyrex, with no luck.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 5:43 am

Per the parts list from Legacy, they used to make a flat replacement... It's listed as 14 3/4" x 17 1/8". You could have a piece cut. You might try calling Legacy to see if they can confirm it. There might be someone there that remembers the details.

Attachments

CW-30.pdf
.PDF | 302.8KB | CW-30.pdf

OldFarmGirl

Post by OldFarmGirl » Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 4:21 pm

Thank you. Yes, the replacement pyroceramic flat glass sat in a frame that was a retrofit 'fix'. Unfortunately the frame is no longer available either. I have been trying to solve this problem for awhile and even contacted Legacy for any possible places that might have new old stock. No luck. My stove looks and fires like new I have used it for 15 years now. Last year I was starting it with wood with the lower door open a bit as usual, my dog became tangled up outside, just as we came in the house I heard 'clink' and the glass was shattered, a piece of wood had fallen forward and was like a blow torch on one spot of the door. I don't want to have to replace this stove. My homeowner's insurance won't cover using it with broken glass. Someone out there must have an old one.

OldFarmGirl

Post by OldFarmGirl » Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 4:43 pm

Would you throw away this stove?
IMG_20220925_163352847.jpg
.JPG | 362.9KB | IMG_20220925_163352847.jpg

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 5:36 pm

old farm girl,
options: 1-take door to metal shop and have a metal window put in(temp fix until you can find one)
2- if stove front is flat(only the glass is beveled) just maybe a door from a different stove can be made to fit

"throw away" h-e-double hockey sticks No!!!!!!

Cheers

OldFarmGirl

Post by OldFarmGirl » Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 8:23 pm

LOL. .
Very good suggestions, and just might get me though this heating season while I keep looking on Craigslist. Thanks

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 9:58 am

OldFarmGirl wrote:
Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 4:43 pm
Would you throw away this stove?IMG_20220925_163352847.jpg
That stove should serve you well. I am pretty sure that you could modify the door so that a straight glass pane would fit There is a glass here in PA that should be able to help you out. Their prices usually average out between $100 to $150 per pane.
Here is a place that my brother used. They do really good work and are extremely reasonable in price. Also you can call them and they can help you on the phone.
https://www.fastreplacementglass.com/
Also you can purchase the firebrick that you need from your local Tractor Supply. I think there around $3 a brick.
I don't think that you would need to cut them, but if needed, you could always purchase a diamond ceramic cut off wheel for less than $20. Some one could help you with the manual from here, or look up in the search engine that's on here to find out more about the Harmon E CW30.
As someone mentioned earlier I think this model was the forerunner to the now popular TLC 2000.
Hope this helps, and happy burning to you.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 10:42 am

Here is an old article from Hearth
ug 5, 2008
Add bookmark
There seems to be a general misconception that combination coal and wood stoves can't burn wood cleanly or efficiently. Generally that has been the case, but there was one combo stove made that did both very well and achieved EPA status, the Harman "E" CW30. In another thread there seems to be some interest in learning more about this stove. I didn't want to get off topic in the other thread, so I thought I'd start a new one about this stove. Unfortunately, Harman stopped making this great little stove, but the engineering is still interesting...
Here is the original thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/ ... ead/20970/

BeGreen wrote:Great find. Front, back, top and interior views would be great. I am particularly interested how they manage the air flow and options provided for top (wood) or bottom (coal) burning. Is there a removable grate system for the coal?
There is no removable grate system, everything sits on the shakers.

The stove has two doors in the front. The traditional larger front loading door and then a smaller door below it which houses the ash pan and the lever that controls the air flow. This lever at one extreme controls the air flow for coal ("C") and wood ("W") at the other. The lever sticks through the lower ash pan door and can only be set to the either wood or coal with the door closed as there is a piece of metal cast into the door which blocks the lever from mistakenly or accidentally being pushed over to the wrong position. You simply slide the lever one way or the other to adjust the airflow for the selected fuel, much like you would for a traditional stove. As you slide this lever, it opens or chokes down the air flow either going into an air path that leads under the shakers for coal fuel, or upwards across the main loading door while burning wood.

There is also a damper at the top of the stove which bypasses the secondary combustion while burning wood. You open this damper for starting the fire, when reloading the stove, or while burning coal.

When you switch from wood over to coal, all you do is open the lower ash pan door, switch the airflow lever from wood to coal, re-close the door, then open the upper damper for burning coal (so it bypasses the secondary combustion path)... it's that simple. You can obviously switch from one fuel and back to the other without the fire ever going out. To shake the ashes while burning wood or coal, you just move the shaker lever on the side of the stove and the fine ash gets disturbed and falls into the ash pan below.

The stove was so cleverly designed, I'm amazed the concept never really took off.

Here are a couple of pages copied from the owners manual which will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about, I'll post actual pictures of the stove in a couple of months when I yank it out of the garage...
Here is some more info.
To start a wood fire you l leave the damper open for about 5 to 15 minutes, the lower primary air control is left full open as well. After the fire is well established, the damper gets closed and the primary air gets choked down. When refueling, they both get reopened for about the first 5 minutes.

Attachments

Stovemanual1.jpg
.JPG | 78.3KB | Stovemanual1.jpg
Stovemanual2.jpg
.JPG | 170.4KB | Stovemanual2.jpg
Stovemanual3.jpg
.JPG | 145.6KB | Stovemanual3.jpg

OldFarmGirl

Post by OldFarmGirl » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 5:31 pm

Yep, I love this stove, so easy to change over from wood to coal. Start it with wood ,get it hot, Change over to coal, build a good bed, turn it down and it will last through the night. I have my original manual, bought this stove new just after they were discontinued. I didn't think to get extra glass at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

amylou0114
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1

Post by amylou0114 » Wed. Dec. 21, 2022 10:19 am

I just picked up one of these stoves a couple weeks ago. We love it, but really need an owner's manual. If anyone has one they can email me that would be great. I have emailed Harman directly but haven't heard back yet.

I guess my biggest question is... does the front air lever in the bottom door control the air coming in the vent on the bottom of the stove?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”