Warm Morning Model 112 A

CreationTales
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning Model 112A

Post by CreationTales » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone would be able to tell me about this stove. It was in my workshop when I purchased my property and I'm thinking about installing it in my house. It's a Warm Morning Model 112 A. I'm attaching some pictures too.

I'm primarily interested in using it as a wood stove. However, I'm interested in the coal potential. I know nothing about using coal for heat. I've never personally known anyone to use coal in my neck of the wood.
IMG_20181204_122042870.jpg
.JPG | 197.4KB | IMG_20181204_122042870.jpg
IMG_20181204_124542315.jpg
.JPG | 300.8KB | IMG_20181204_124542315.jpg
IMG_20181204_124614799.jpg
.JPG | 330.8KB | IMG_20181204_124614799.jpg
IMG_20181204_124716047.jpg
.JPG | 294.3KB | IMG_20181204_124716047.jpg
The upper damper appears to be missing because I just see a couple holes. Is it possible to get that part if I wanted?

Thanks so much for the help!!

Ben Russell

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 7:53 am

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but..............

that thing needs a trip to the crusher. in a well ventilated shop it MIGHT be ok but even there you need to realize that the top damper is the very least of your concerns.

the outer grate support ring ( must be recast from an original ), the round grate and the draw center grate (available but worthless without the grate support ), and all the original fire brick ( some available for $80+ EACH and the most important 2 are recast only ) are all missing

the stove looks to have been being fired directly on the bottom of the barrel which is about 24 gauge and would have been a bad idea even when new. used the way it is the bottom WILL fail at some point and the fire go straight down on the floor.

there is no way that unit should be installed in a house, even if just to burn paper trash.

it's done, sorry
steve

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 8:12 am

Settle down there Steve. If that metal is solid and the person is handy with metal, the old girl could be brought back to life. The two Warm Morning 414A stoves I bought looked like this. I bought one to restore and one for parts. And I restored mine like new!

Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on what the owners skills are and what they want to get out of the project. I guess if no one thought something was junk then those of us skilled in the art of the “restore” would never get good deals!

Ben, let us know what type of project you want this to be. As is it shouldn’t be used but with a little work it most certainly can be.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 11:11 am

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum.... a few things that I can tell you about coal versus wood: It burns much longer.. mine generally burns 8 hours between tendings, It's cleaner than wood, although you should be careful when handling coal ash because it easily gets airborne but there's no schlepping wood into your house or shop. It doesn't produce a lot of smoke like a wood stove does. A 50 lb bag of coal typically runs $6.30 and will heat my small 800 sq ft house for approx. 30-35 hours in the dead of winter in Northern Maine.

I'm mourning that Warm Morning ..it looks pretty rough but I'm not really one to judge whether or how it could be restored. If you check FB Marketplace or CL you'll find many used coal stoves for sale. If you're patient you can pick up an nice one for $300.- $400. Coal Stove Chubby is a popular stove on this forum. I have one that's going on 45 yo and if maintained will be in service long before I'm gone.

Hope that helps some.
Last edited by keegs on Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 12:29 pm

my take still stands. as is, this stove is dangerous.

for about the same money as a new barrel for this stove another stove of the same type can regularly be found with complete internals on the usual online sale apps.

way ahead by watching for a similar stove in complete condition even if it needs a new barrel , which is the least expensive replacement part on them.

some times you just can't take something that was free and add what ever amount of money you wish and come out with something worth the money spent.

i'm in the same boat. i have a car that cost me $1800. and recently spit the tranny, i can do the mechanics to install another one that will cost me $1700. but, if i do i still won't have a car worth $3500. and it actually won't even be worth what i originally paid for it because of time and mileage depreciation. good money after bad in my book.

steve

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Not everything is driven by market value. I would take an old car over a new one any day wether or not KBB says it isn’t worth it . Of course the stove shouldn’t be burned in as is but you get a lot out of doing a resotor yourself . You learn a lot. Money buys your labor. Things aren’t built the way they used to be so you either pay for good labor or do it yourself. That stove has life in it but I’m a metal worker so I know it can be restored . Knowing what my Glenwood baseheater can do I probably wouldn’t restore it for a main house heater but it might be fun to learn on for a garage heater. But I absolutely wouldn’t waste my money on a modern sheetmetal stove.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”