Bit in a hitzer

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 7:53 pm

So like the subject says. I have about 500 pounds of lump bituminous coal in a barrel and buckets that I used to burn in a coal basket in my fireplace. I got tired of removing the stove and converting back to a real fireplace every year. So in an effort to get rid of the coal which is taking up space, I’d like to burn it up in the 50-93. I know I’d have to pull the hopper. Has anyone burned bit in a 50-93 before? I found a few posts where 254 and 354 users burn bit with good results. So what say you? This coal came from a supply store in Latrobe, Westmoreland county Pennsylvania. I believe Kings supply was the name. (Been a few years)

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Kingston Supply would be the name. Just hit me!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 9:32 pm

I have never used your stove but I think it could be hard to do as your stove does not have over fire air. Maybe if you left the door cracked for a while after loading??? I'd try a small amount first and see how it goes.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 10:36 pm

I burned bit in my 503 insert for a couple of years, I took the hopper out and the air wash on the glass door gave enough over the fire air to help burn the volatiles off. After that it burns pretty much like anthracite.

If you only have 500 lbs, don’t bother taking the hopper out, just don’t load it above the firebrick and it will be fine. It will smoke the glass up some, but cleans off easily.

BUT! Let me warn you, be careful how you load it and do NOT open the door after you have put fresh coal on the bed, load it quick leaving a corner of red coals exposed and shut the door. Avoid a puffback at all costs or you will have a mad wife! Bit smoke is sooty and stinks.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 9:05 am

bksaun wrote:
Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 10:36 pm
Avoid a puffback at all costs or you will have a mad wife!
:lol:
It can scare the cat, too. But he gets over it quicker than the wife.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 7:42 pm

I couldn’t remember if hitzers had over fire air through the window or not. I know my dad’s Harman does. Sounds like it’s possible to burn it from what some of you guys are saying. Like was mentioned, the puff backs are what concerns me when that bi metallic chokes off the air. I think opening the vents on the ash door will be key also

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 9:26 pm

The 50/93 does not have over fire air that I know of and no spinner. Perhaps one of the users here that have one can verify that, or call Hitzer. You might be able to add a spinner on one of the sides.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 10:04 pm

He only has 500lbs to burn up, that would be more trouble than its worth

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 5:41 pm

The hitzer manual talks about burning bituminous in the stove. I cant see how it would work too good with no over fire air. All it says however is to remove the hopper since the coal is more volatile and can burn up into the hopper and light it like an anthracite fire. I believe like others have posted that the glass door seals tight. I know how my dads harman Mark 3 looks and how mine looks after a fresh reload. His has flames dancing all over the glass indicating its getting air, mine the flames stay right on the coal and then get super small and lazy when the bi metallic shuts. Also when he burns wood if you completely close the bottom spinner the fire stays going indicating that its getting air through the door (gaskets are good). Mine, when burning wood if I close the ash door vents and the bi metal goes closed out goes the fire making me thing mine is sealed.

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Wed. Jan. 08, 2020 10:35 pm

rberq wrote:
Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 9:05 am
:lol:
It can scare the cat, too. But he gets over it quicker than the wife.
LMAO, the cat will be fine. Wife ehh not so much

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Jan. 09, 2020 9:40 am

Sounds to me like some of the stoves are sealed differently, possibly.

My 354 has a door spinner in each door. Even if those are closed I can tell you now that there is over fire air getting into the top of the fire, at least some, through the damper pull knob above the doors.

I haven’t even used this stove yet and have no experience with it except for a test burn out on the driveway. I tried to take pictures of what I was seeing, but was unsuccessful. I decided to show my son, so at least one person could verify what I was seeing...and I could see flames through the damper rod hole, so I know a certain amount of over-fire air is getting in through that point. I had to look hard to see it and position myself just right, but it’s there.

May not be enough to make a difference, but I thought I’d mention it. Maybe other 254/354 users can take note, check and see, then verify if they’re seeing the same thing as I am.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”