Dancing Chubby

gblass1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby

Post by gblass1 » Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 9:22 pm

As I’m getting to know my Chubby I’ve noticed she likes to dance 💃 when you shake her. Anyone else have a dancing Chubby. I have the shaker grate that sits on the ears on the bottom of the pot. I have a feeling the new design pot with the center pin would be a lot better but I hate to have to replace the pot if I don’t have to.

Other than that I’m VERY happy with my Chubby.

George

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 7:37 am

Morning Gblass1, mine's probably the same vintage ...circa 1974 if memory serves. She sashays a bit when I shake. I think it's more a twist than a lateral shift. The floor tile and the bricks of the hearth help me to get her lined back up with the chimney flue after I'm done shaking. I imagine you're right about the burn pot with the center pin though... but the pots are pricey and this one's got a lot of miles left on her. Maybe some kind of sticky material that resists heat placed under the feet would keep this from happening but it's not too much trouble.....Love my old Chubby.

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 4:32 pm

I have one with the center pin. Late last season she started to dance bit. It was getting hard to shake down. It was only after the season ending clean out that I noticed a crack in the grate. It would expand when hot and cause more friction. I replaced it last summer and her dancing days are over.

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 7:33 am

Phew.... As per title, for a second, I thought you caught me some night in my underwear.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 9:19 am

My little JR Chubby doesnt move a bit when shaking. Im thinking your bigger stoves are not sitting firmly on all 4 legs.

That or you dont know your own strength! :lol:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”