Back to running

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 2:08 am

Maybe a silly question but can coal from the same mine get better and worse quality over years. This years Blaschak burns much nicer than the coal from 2 or 3 years ago. The ash is much finer and willing to burn slowly much easier.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Well close to 2 weeks and plaster finally real warm was burning 250 lbs a week and like a locomotive for a crane 404 but now just simmering at 300 and 20 something outside. I suspect will drop back to under 200 a week and nice fine ash. I can see the error in my previous ways of asking too much of a space heater and thinking I could force it to get the house warm. All I did was make klinkers coarse ash and run through a bunch of coal. I have learned it is a game of patience.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 9:04 pm

I just found out today from a member that works at Blashchak that much this years coal supply is a lot harder than previous years. This burns slower and needs more air. Should be able to get longer burn times in a hand fed, I would think.

-Don

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 10:26 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 9:04 pm
I just found out today from a member that works at Blashchak that much this years coal supply is a lot harder than previous years. This burns slower and needs more air. Should be able to get longer burn times in a hand fed, I would think.

-Don
Makes sense.

I've been burning Lehigh for the last few years and this past few weeks i switched over to bagged Blaschak for the first time in my Harmon II. I've definitely had to give it more feed air but it burns real well with long burns and a nice fine ash with no klinkers even when running it hard. I do like the Blaschak. Good stuff

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 11:26 am

StokerDon wrote:

-Don
Good to know....I am burning their rice so I will keep an eye on the ash pan and maybe tweak the air or feed if I see something out of the ordinary.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 4:07 pm

And the red head...

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 5:20 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:
Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 4:07 pm
And the red head...
Yeah, that’s what I was waiting around for too.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Dec. 11, 2018 11:47 pm

StokerDon wrote:

-Don
That is exactly what I am seeing larger air openings for the same heat. I run 400 to 500 on stove top when 20 or so outside and when it was close to 50 I was at 250 stove top and a windowstat at 8 inches open. The ash in either case is very fine and very easy to control. I am wondering if I want to buy another ton if going to be this easy to burn.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 6:12 pm

ddahlgren wrote:
Tue. Dec. 11, 2018 11:47 pm
That is exactly what I am seeing larger air openings for the same heat. I run 400 to 500 on stove top when 20 or so outside and when it was close to 50 I was at 250 stove top and a windowstat at 8 inches open. The ash in either case is very fine and very easy to control. I am wondering if I want to buy another ton if going to be this easy to burn.
Nice! sounds like this hard coal works very well in the hand fired stoves. I like light ash pans! Go for it!

-Don

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”