Johnson Energy Model 9900 "Did I fry the thermostat"

Springtongirl
Other Heating: Johnson Energy Model 9900 Serial 1168

Post by Springtongirl » Fri. Nov. 23, 2018 8:00 am

I may have the wrong site, plz forgive me, if I have. While my power was out I allowed my coal/wood burner to get to hot. When power was restored the blower would not stop running. How can I tell if I have charred things before going to expense of a thermostat? I mean if I have done severe damage and a new thermostat wouldn't necessarily work, why go to the expense. You have a person willing to learn how to do repairs, but am new to this kind. Albeit my post :). I hope this makes sense.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Nov. 23, 2018 8:26 am

Depends on how the blower is controlled? is it a temp switch on the stove/thermal switch? Turn power off to stove and check any wiring that may have melted near the blower or to the switch thats keeping it running? . is there a manual override for the blower? some have a button to make them run constantly and it's gets pushed in and it will run constantly.
Maybe post a pic of the setup. ?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Nov. 23, 2018 11:10 am

Wouldn't be the wall thermostat that got damaged...more likely the "fan limit" located on the stove where air leads out and into plenum or duct work.
Like was said, some "fan limits" have a white button over-ride for full time fan, so be sure that isn't accidentally bumped to hold fan on steady before buying another.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Here is a link to a thread in another forum that has the manual in it.
https://www.diyforums.net/we-have-a-johnson-energ ... 11236.html

I'm going to assume you want to burn coal in this unit so I will move this thread to the hand fired stove/furnace section.

Welcome to the forum!

-Don

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”