Vigilant Stove question

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 11:12 pm

COB, your questions' answers all depend on the qualities of the coal you're burning. Many breakers blend coal from different mines at different times of the year. It something you have to experiment with but yes, I use the temp on the griddle to guestimate what's going on above the grates. Trouble is, you don't know until the grates start to ash up. It's analogous to how different species of fish take the baited hook - you feel it through the pole. In our case, you feel the fused ash, rocks, or clinkers in the shaker handle and the slicing knife.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 5:57 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 9:57 am
... Also--you don't do the bit of leaving a corner of coals exposed when adding coal?
charlesosborne2002 , I forgot to answer this question and it's been on my mind to answer it for a while :P
I've found that i don't need to leave a corner unexposed because our stove's front grill leaves the side of the fire exposed. I make certain the bed is hot and growing when when I dump a hod on top. I usually stay with the stove for a minute or so until a flame starts to lick up the front of the grill. Pretty quickly that flame lights the gasses above the new coal. Over the years I've had a few minor puff backs by leaving the ash door open too long without a flame appearing from below.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks, VigII--I noticed that recently in a post of yours, and I tried it. It worked fine. I too thought about the exposed fire on the front grill. Do you wait for the blue flames before closing the ash door and the damper?

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Dec. 13, 2018 8:50 am

Yes, I wait until there's some blue flame above the coal bed before closing the ash door. I'll watch to make sure the flame thrives before closing the damper. However long it takes to thrive is dependent on draft and and chimney temperature.

When the grill flame is lazy I'll do something a little risky. I'll lift the griddle just the smallest amount and blow under the griddle - don't get too close :o That pushes enough of the coal gas down into the flame and adds enough oxygen above to set the flames above the coal bed.

TigerLab
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant

Post by TigerLab » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Question, what is the optimum temp on the griddle and on the flue?

TigerLab
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant

Post by TigerLab » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Here is my setup

Attachments

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 10:13 pm

Nice! Those stoves can really throw some heat too!

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 5:59 pm

TL...I don’t see any answers to your temp question. I don’t think there is an ideal temp for either. It depends on your need for heat. But...I think there’s an ideal relationship between griddle temp and stove pipe temp. The way our stoves work, the heat is extracted as the exhaust gas wends its way through the passages in the body of the stove. So...for example...if your griddle is 400* and your pipe is <200*, then your heat is going into the room, and not up the chimney. Individual results will vary.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Rich W. wrote:
Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 5:59 pm
TL...I don’t see any answers to your temp question. I don’t think there is an ideal temp for either. It depends on your need for heat. But...I think there’s an ideal relationship between griddle temp and stove pipe temp. The way our stoves work, the heat is extracted as the exhaust gas wends its way through the passages in the body of the stove. So...for example...if your griddle is 400* and your pipe is <200*, then your heat is going into the room, and not up the chimney. Individual results will vary.
I have double-wall stove pipe, so the reading with IR thermometer is not very informative for me...

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 11:46 am

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Fri. Oct. 18, 2019 6:09 pm
I have double-wall stove pipe, so the reading with IR thermometer is not very informative for me...
I left about a 6" section of single wall nearest to the chimney support where the SS chimney starts. That's where I take my IR temperature readings. You could add a brass compression fitting to the inside pipe and use a thermal thermometer probe of any kind. That would be the most accurate reading too.

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 1:10 pm

I love reading these threads where people get their stove/furnace working.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”