We have liftoff

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 1:47 pm

After years of wishing and burning wood, I bought a Vigilant II in June, and it was installed last week and tested with wood fires till today--so now I made a nice fireplace style wood fire and then closed it and began loading coal on the nice hot bed of wood embers. Everything proceeded as hoped, and the coal quickly began the dance of the blue ladies. It is running at 400 degrees on top 30 minutes after the last generous load. Lots of blue flames, and I only get a whiff of coal odor when I open the top to load.

There is a light dusting of snow, but accumulation is predicted tomorrow, and north winds, so cozy is just the thing.

I tried cooking with the wood fires and used a deep iron skillet with lid for meat sauce, and a steel pot for the spaghetti--worked fine with the griddle around 600. I let the stove gradually rise to 600 when I was cooking (after three or four smaller fires).

The stove heats slower with coal--it is still just 400 degrees, as it takes awhile for each layer to get hot. However, the room is 77 near the stove, and 73 at the desk behind the camera. The bathroom down the hall to the right is 68, and the bedroom beyond that is 65--the register you can see over the hallway door lets heat drift back to the bedroom (which I prefer to keep cooler).

Attachments

_MG_1205.jpg
.JPG | 353.2KB | _MG_1205.jpg

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Your on easy street now! Yes, the stove will warm up slower with coal but once you figure your stove out it will run whatever temp you want it to all day long. Your house corners stay warmer that way and way less work than wood. Air movement is key. Enjoy.

Bubbalowe
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Looks great! After several weeks of playing here's what I've figured out about the 2310. It is a beautiful stove. A little messy to clean ash and shake down but grate system is well designed. Regardless of claimed burn time seems to work best shaking down in morning and once in evening adding coal each time. Doing this 12hr schedule eliminates recovery lag and is not a big deal as couch is in front of stove where I'm normally at. Coal use is a 3/4 hod in morning and 3/4 hod in evening. Life is good.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Sheeeeeh, when I saw the thread title I thought you had the Mother of all puff-backs. Glad to hear all went well !!!!!! :D

Welcome to the wonderful warm world of coal. :yes:

Paul

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Congratulations!

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Thanks--morning and evening shake is what I found the first day, and your quantities seem to be my guess too.
Bubbalowe wrote:
Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 12:53 pm
Looks great! After several weeks of playing here's what I've figured out about the 2310. It is a beautiful stove. A little messy to clean ash and shake down but grate system is well designed. Regardless of claimed burn time seems to work best shaking down in morning and once in evening adding coal each time. Doing this 12hr schedule eliminates recovery lag and is not a big deal as couch is in front of stove where I'm normally at. Coal use is a 3/4 hod in morning and 3/4 hod in evening. Life is good.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 11:39 pm

lol--no puff backs--yet. Am I right that there will be no puff back when there are active flames? Only when new coal is heating up?
Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 1:00 pm
Sheeeeeh, when I saw the thread title I thought you had the Mother of all puff-backs. Glad to hear all went well !!!!!! :D

Welcome to the wonderful warm world of coal. :yes:

Paul

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 3:56 am

Congrats! I've always liked the looks of that stove. Nice!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 4:44 am

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Thu. Nov. 15, 2018 11:39 pm
lol--no puff backs--yet. Am I right that there will be no puff back when there are active flames? Only when new coal is heating up?
Yes, as long as the gases have a flame source so they can burn off, or be diluted with enough fresh air as they escape, then they won't collect to the point of suddenly igniting when a flame does eventually come up through the coal bed.

Best way is to leave some glowing coals exposed so that the volatile gases burn and you get the benefit of that heat rather than waste it up the chimney. ;)

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”