Been a while - First light of the year

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 10:49 am

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have been on the forum so I thought I would pop in. I lit the first fire in the Glenwood #6 today. I was really late to the game on going to pick up a load of coal. I have some left over but I need to pick up at least another pallet for the winter. Of course none of the tractor supplies in the area ordered nut coal this year so I put in for them to order me a pallet local. However I don't necessarily trust that they will get it in. I will look north again this year and see if anyone has any in Northern VA but with how the elections go in Virginia I am sure the lefties are trying their best to keep coal out of good peoples hands.

At the moment I am burning hickory and I have a bit of wood I need to cut and chop. So I will be dragging out burning wood for a little while this year. I really wish I had the capital to just order a semi truck load of Anthracite and have them deliver it.

I broke the casing to one of my thermocouples this morning as well so I need to order a few of those again off ebay. They still work really well! I think I evaporated the mercury in the boiler gauge a few years back so I finally got rid of that. It has been quite a few years since I got the glenwood and I am still using it as my only source of heat. I kinda dread having to gather wood for it in the fall and spring but for the most part I am still really happy with living this lifestyle.

Anyways, happy burning and I hope everyone is doing well.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Good to hear from ya Josh--:)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Welcome back, SJ.

You might try check with member Matt from Lehigh Coal. Lehigh Anthracite Coal Dealers

Lehigh has really expanded the number of dealers since your were last on. Might be one started carrying their product close by. My local Lehigh dealer's everyday bag price is less than what TSC is charging. And the pallet price is the same as my bulk dealer per ton delivered.

Paul

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 2:15 am

Good to hear from you Fred and Paul! I will check with Matt to see if he has any news for down this way. The only reason I have been purchasing from TSC for the past 3 years is the convenience of them being right down the road from me. Anything to keep me from driving to Northern VA is worth it. Too bad I couldn't have been driving a trailer a little larger because I made my way to upper Jersey just past NYC about a month ago and I drove right through PA so I know I could have stopped off and loaded up but I was hauling a CJ7 Jeep, a bunch of parts and two 304 V8 engines in the bed with a camper shell.
IMG_5124.jpg
.JPG | 403.8KB | IMG_5124.jpg
It is going to rain the next 3 days and I haven't really cut enough wood to keep the stove going on wood so I went ahead and switched to coal tonight. Feels so good!

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 2:28 am

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 9:04 am

Well hot diggity damn! My local TSC came through for me and has a pallet of Nut coal! Going to pick it up today.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 9:47 am

Interesting, our local TSC recently got in nut coal also. New brand is labeled Premium and better quality than Miners Choice brand that just finished up. Premium brand has little fines compared to Miners Choice and appears to burn to powder ash.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 9:57 am

Bubbalowe wrote:
Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 9:47 am
Interesting, our local TSC recently got in nut coal also. New brand is labeled Premium and better quality than Miners Choice brand that just finished up. Premium brand has little fines compared to Miners Choice and appears to burn to powder ash.
I have been buying regularly from TSC for a few years now. Last I checked it was still Kimmels. I started out hating Kimmels but then I learned how to burn it and I really like what TSC has been putting out. Of course it is not like I have a huge choice of what anthracite I buy unless I want to drive a few hours north. Once I have a few things paid off I am going to order in a semi trucks worth of anthracite and be done with gambling every year. You also never know with the crazies on the left when they will stop people from buying it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”