Chimney Liner

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 9:45 am

Check out this method of regrouting the flue liner. https://heatshieldchimney.com/

WIburnerPaul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King Oak 19B
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Harman Absolute43 wood pellet. Lamppa Kuuma Vapor-Fire 200 gasification wood furnace.

Post by WIburnerPaul » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 11:30 am

nut wrote:
Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 9:45 am
Check out this method of regrouting the flue liner. https://heatshieldchimney.com/
Have you or anyone had the ‘pour in place’ or ‘cast in place’ done to your chimney interior, where a tube is inflated in the diameter (6”) you want, then a wet refractory material is poured or pumped into the chimney? After it hardens the tube is deflated and removed. This is more expensive than stainless steel which requires yearly inspections to maintain the forever warranty. Links to what you had done?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 11:43 am

I got a quote for Superflu system for my fireplace chimney back when I bought this place 31 years ago. They were the only ones doing the balloon and pour-in-place refractory liners then. Quote was $1400.00, which back then was a lot just to use the fireplace.

I haven't heard of anyone getting a poured liner, but lots going with stainless liners, so I'm guessing the poured liners are still too expensive for most.

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 3:20 pm

WIburnerPaul,
where is the chimney situated on your house (on the interior or on the edge)? How tall is your chimney?
does the chimney have clay tiles in the flue? and are there any gaps?

WIburnerPaul
Other Heating: Harman Absolute43 wood pellet. Lamppa Kuuma Vapor-Fire 200 gasification wood furnace.

Post by WIburnerPaul » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 3:51 pm

The straight 8” SS liner is 32’ from the basement level Tee. The 1914 house chimney is constructed of bricks with no liner. In the attic a previous contractor went to concrete squares and then at the roof level above the flashing, constructed a wood/plywood frame and attached glue on fake fieldstone rock. I paid for a 10’ insulation jacket to be at the top. (I would send pictures but can’t figure out how to. The word Paste doesn’t appear.)

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 3:56 pm

WIburnerPaul wrote:
Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 3:51 pm
The straight 8” SS liner is 32’ from the basement level Tee. The 1914 house chimney is constructed of bricks with no liner. In the attic a previous contractor went to concrete squares and then at the roof level above the flashing, constructed a wood/plywood frame and attached glue on fake fieldstone rock. I paid for a 10’ insulation jacket to be at the top. (I would send pictures but can’t figure out how to. The word Paste doesn’t appear.)
Use the full editor and preview button below. On the attachment tab, hit the add files button. Make sure the file is fully loaded (check mark) before hitting submit

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 6:02 pm

WIburnerPaul wrote:
Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 11:30 am
Have you or anyone had the ‘pour in place’ or ‘cast in place’ done to your chimney interior, where a tube is inflated in the diameter (6”) you want, then a wet refractory material is poured or pumped into the chimney? After it hardens the tube is deflated and removed. This is more expensive than stainless steel which requires yearly inspections to maintain the forever warranty. Links to what you had done?
My dad did when half our chimney got blown 50 yards across the back yard from a direct lightning strike. They rebricked the chimney. Stuck one 2’ long piece of 8x8 terracotta at the top and put an inflatable 7” tube down the chimney. They were in and out in 2 days. Slick as whale $h!t. The result was a seamless insulated flue that had fantastic draft.

WIburnerPaul

Post by WIburnerPaul » Tue. Mar. 07, 2023 7:13 pm

gardener wrote:
Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 3:20 pm
WIburnerPaul,
where is the chimney situated on your house (on the interior or on the edge)? How tall is your chimney?
does the chimney have clay tiles in the flue? and are there any gaps?
My chimney is brick mostly but was changed to concrete squares in the attic, to the roof level. There are no clay tiles.

Attachments

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Mar. 08, 2023 9:04 am

WIburnerPaul wrote:
Mon. Mar. 06, 2023 3:51 pm
I had read it earlier that you had a masonry chimney, and a separate stainless steel chimney. I see now you said SS liner, so what are you burning now in the liner?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”