Harman mark III

bigfutty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III

Post by bigfutty » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 7:33 am

I have a Harman Mark III that i will be using for the second year this year. Last year I mainly used nut coal in this unit. I was thinking about using pea this yea. I also found a killer deal on 3 tons of rice. I know that unless i have a good bed of coals the rice is too small. But once the fire is going is rice ok to use. also what is other guys experience with using Pea.

Thanks

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 8:04 am

I buy two different coal sizes, for two different appliances. In a pinch, I have thrown some "Buckwheat" size coal in the HITZER. Like you said, a bed of coals has to be established first. Otherwise, buckwheat will go through grates. It will burn but...................... Don't waste your time & money.

Although the Mark-III has finer grates than the HITZER, it is still natural draft. Buckwheat & Rice are intended to have the air pushed through the coal. Long explanation / short; uneven burning / and hot spots.

dane
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II

Post by dane » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 9:08 am

I got some pea coal for free last year and burned it in my Mark II, it was fine but you have to be very careful about puff backs when reloading pea coal. I presume it has something to do with the coal restricting the airflow and allowing gasses to build up over the coal bed.

I would not use pea again unless it was free and then maybe mixed with nut.

Dane

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 10:14 am

Pea or pea nut mix in the spring and fall...
For the slower fires...

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 10:32 am

I burn pea in my Mark II quite a bit. It's easy to handle and works well for me. It just takes some getting used to and requires more air than nut and stove. I have burned several tons of rice in it as well because I got it free. It burned fine a little at a time on top of a hot coal bed.

Spaceexplorer
Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: CoalBrookDale Much Wenlock
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: None
Coal Size/Type: Nut/ Pea
Other Heating: Oil/ Wood/ Propane

Post by Spaceexplorer » Tue. Nov. 06, 2018 8:03 pm

I was able to get about 700 pounds for free of pea size this weekend (still learning about coal) and put some pea size over the nut coal and holy crap the heat the pea put out was crazy but it did burn up a lot faster than the nut. And just like others have said here it puts out a lot more gasses than nut so I leave the top door open to get more air to burn up the gasses and then I close the top door and set the main air knob to simmer.

Pap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Pap » Fri. Nov. 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I burn pea coal in my Mark III too. To eliminate the puff backs when you reload the coal just leave a corner of your fire box empty with the red coals showing. Then load the stove full to the top of the fire bricks. Close the door and set the draft knob to your setting. Let the stove go till it lights (till you see the blue flames) then open the door and fill in the corner you left empty.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”