Going to look at Herald 6 - question about grates

auntievintage
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 116
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Nut
Other Heating: Oil forced luke-warm air

Post by auntievintage » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 9:49 am

Hey guys,
I'm headed to look at a Herald Base Heater No. 6.
It appears to be in decent shape. The owner burned coal.
When I received additional pics, it looks to me like someone put the frame & grates from 116 in it. The back of the frame seems to be resting on a brick and the front is certainly lacking gears and the covering face plate.
I'd share pics but, because I didn't take them, I hesitate to post.

I believe this stove would take the same frame & grates from Glenwood 6? Can anyone confirm that? If so, I'm hoping I'll be able to find replacements (any advice on that is appreciated, as well).
I have a call into Emery to ask, but I'm sure they are out straight this time of year and I don't expect an answer today.
I'll be heading to RI the weekend after this and that would be a "grate" excuse to finally visit the Stove Hospital :D

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 10:00 am

Morning Auntie,
The Herald is a good base heater and has what I think, is the prettiest door windows of the Taunton-built base heaters.

Try pm-ing the pix to member Wilsonswoodstoves, or phone him. He's restored a few Herald #6 and will know if what shows is correct, and if not, what parts swap and what doesn't. He likely has grates and frame to sell, or to have recasts made from.

If your headed to Stove Hospital, you'll be only a few miles from Wilson in RI.

Wilson Mull 508-763-8941

Paul

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Hello Auntie,
Wilson is easy to get to: I-495 South. In Mass. Exit #3(Rte#28 South). Right on Spruce St. and Right on North Ave. He's on the left at the corner of Snipatuit Rd. 3-4 miles in from I-495.
Good luck to you.
Cheers

auntievintage

Post by auntievintage » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks, guys!
I did talk to the Stove Hospital. I can likely get the parts cast that it would need but I'm looking at $700-800.
I'm supposed to be heading over to look at it shortly but I'm not willing to pay even close to the asking price if that's the case. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller to find out if he has any of the original parts (frame and face-plate would be nice). If not, I may not waste my time on this rainy day unless he's willing to part with it for a considerable discount.

auntievintage

Post by auntievintage » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 3:20 pm

No extra parts, he said Bryant's stove shop gave him the "Frankenstein" grate frame & grates 10 years ago. He wouldn't come down to what the stove hospital told me it would be worth (if the rest is in good shape) and he didn't attempt to counter so I'm not going to waste my time. Its still up for grabs. If anyone wants his # (he forgot to post it in the CL ad), PM me. I'll share.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”