Anyone burning the DS stove insert?

cedar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Fireplaces Insert
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut
Other Heating: Osburn 2400 insert

Post by cedar » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 7:58 pm

Hello all... I've currently got an Osburn 2400 insert and been a woodburner for 8 yrs. But have been talking with some coworkers and Im now considering a switch to a coal insert within the next yr or so(Ive got a lot of wood stockpiled to burn).I had some time last weekend and took a drive to a local shop and get some prices and just look at things. They seemed to carry all the major brands I see talked about here.. The one that peaked my interest was the DS insert. I really like the all black, kind of industrial no frills look and wooden handles..
Anyways I've not been able to find any info from folks using the insert version in real life. Ive seen the Messick youtube videos already as well.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 8:04 pm

It's very new. Not likely many users yet. Sure looks nice though.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 11:07 pm

DS makes some very solid stoves. I'd love one in my fireplace. Right now I burn a Coal Chubby installed in front of the fireplace and that does a pretty fair job. I may get an Alska Kast Konsole II stoker as it would make it easier for the wife to utilize while I am away at work.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Dec. 19, 2018 5:48 am

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Dec. 20, 2018 10:19 am

As far as modern stoves and inserts its a new insert to the market.

The removable baffle so you can switch between hand fed and magazine/shute/hopper fed is a functional appeal, you are not dedicated to either type of operation at the time of purchase.

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Sat. Dec. 22, 2018 8:03 am

Hi All
I have not seen the DS insert in person but have seen online videos and read the spec. descriptions. I have been burning a Hitzer 503 insert for 8 years and am very happy with it.
Here are my thoughts. The pluses of the DS to me are: 1) bimetallic thermostat not found on the Hitzer 2) external grate shaker system. The negatives to me are: 1) blower is located in the rear of the unit. This means cleaning and replacing the blower will require pulling the unit out of the fireplace opening which will be a major pain 2) smaller firebox and hopper volume. Makes me wonder if the DS unit can put out as much heat as the Hitzer 3) the DS unit has an unusual top hopper opening requiring a tapered coal hod (which DS sells) to feed it cleanly and 4) those wooden handle covers though attractive have had problems on other DS models with cracking and falling apart. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.
Gian4

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”