Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 6:46 am

Jimbjr wrote:
Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 10:16 pm
Really, where in Granville?
Keith Jordan 1-518-424-5663 Lehigh Dealer for 3 years now...

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:12 am

When I lived in Memphis, red oak was about the only thing people burned--it is free from the City Park Commission (cut your own) from where they trim or remove trees in parks or by the streets. It goes for $135 a cord if you buy it. But here in the country, Fulton County, KY, it can be over $300 a cord, sellers rarely keep to the promised size, often it is greener than they promised, and they add a charge for delivery plus more for stacking. If people cut down trees on their property, they used to let people have it for free just to get rid of it, so those who sold it could just charge for labor. But now the property owners want a cut of the sale, so the price is more (or people stopped selling it). I am getting too long of tooth to handle all this or take up lumberjacking myself.
The cost and problems, plus the labor of bringing in wood several times a day and frequently loading the stove, and then it going out at night, became more trouble than it was worth, so I bought the coal stove.
keegs wrote:
Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 6:40 am
It's puzzling to me that more folks here don't go with coal as a fuel source. But I guess wood fuels are locally sourced and more affordable. I did some checking online last year and found there are a few places besides TS that sell bagged coal but only that one mom and pop outfit in Easton that's selling bulk. Competition could bring coal prices down some and increase availability but it may be we're in a chicken or egg situation.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:51 am

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:12 am
When I lived in Memphis, red oak was about the only thing people burned--it is free from the City Park Commission (cut your own) from where they trim or remove trees in parks or by the streets. It goes for $135 a cord if you buy it. But here in the country, Fulton County, KY, it can be over $300 a cord, sellers rarely keep to the promised size, often it is greener than they promised, and they add a charge for delivery plus more for stacking. If people cut down trees on their property, they used to let people have it for free just to get rid of it, so those who sold it could just charge for labor. But now the property owners want a cut of the sale, so the price is more (or people stopped selling it). I am getting too long of tooth to handle all this or take up lumberjacking myself.
The cost and problems, plus the labor of bringing in wood several times a day and frequently loading the stove, and then it going out at night, became more trouble than it was worth, so I bought the coal stove.
Have a similar story ... lived in Jersey most of my life and always enjoyed having a fire in the wood stove...along with the savings on the heating oil bill. Only bought wood twice over all that time.....Oak (mostly red oak) is dominant in the north west part of the state and is sold in 20' logs at a very good price. But mostly I would collect what was left behind by the power company after their annual pruning and cutting. I burned about 1.5 cords /yr. In Maine we have about 20 acres of forest... some maple and birch but it's mostly aspen, pine, spruce, cedar and larch. I'm oftentimes up there alone. Not sure if it's wisdom or a loss of mojo but at my age felling trees isn't something I like to do anymore. Plus, like I think was implied, you can't beat a good night's sleep. :)

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 11:31 am

"Plus, like I think was implied, you can't beat a good night's sleep. :)"

Yes, in most cases, a wood stove that burns all night is too big for a small cottage, and burning low makes more creosote.

It has still been too warm here to start the coal--yesterday was 80 degrees high, lows have been 40's and 50's (last night 60), and not much cooler any time soon.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 1:06 pm

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 6:46 am
Keith Jordan 1-518-424-5663 Lehigh Dealer for 3 years now...
And got to work with also, my second year with him.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”