Regency F3100L coal conversion

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Here is my Regency, you can't see on that pix, there are firebricks installed inside.

Attachments

IMG_20181026_123326.jpg
.JPG | 286.6KB | IMG_20181026_123326.jpg
Last edited by PolarLight on Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Another question guys.
I am thinking about new coal& wood stove with a hydronic coils inside. Are they exist?
Would be so nice to connect it into the existing larger loop, (which interconnects all building) cut off another buildings and enjoy by radiant hot floor, in case my big beast siting in garage is not operating for some reasons. That stove installed inside of a quite small room, which gets hot quickly, the rest of the house is still cool.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:10 pm

They do exist but, those types of water coils are generally for helping with the heating of domestic hot water. They are hooked up in conjunction with a tank so that water can constantly circulate thru the coil with a pump or natural convection so it can heat the water over time. These coils do not absorb enough heat in the stove to heat another room the way you are thinking.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:16 pm

You will need to replace the glass with a type used on coal stoves. Most likely, although not positively, your stoves glass wont handle the heat. Probably cost over $100 now days. Or you can replace the glass with steel and put a small sheet of mica in it so you could still see the fire a little.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:10 pm
They do exist but, those types of water coils are generally for helping with the heating of domestic hot water. They are hooked up in conjunction with a tank so that water can constantly circulate thru the coil with a pump or natural convection so it can heat the water over time. These coils do not absorb enough heat in the stove to heat another room the way you are thinking.
Thanks for the nice input, I didn't know that......

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:34 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:16 pm
You will need to replace the glass with a type used on coal stoves. Most likely, although not positively, your stoves glass wont handle the heat. Probably cost over $100 now days. Or you can replace the glass with steel and put a small sheet of mica in it so you could still see the fire a little.
I see, the Regancy 3100 has a metal screen door as an option on their website. Perhaps, better to get one.
https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Woo ... oves/F3100

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:37 pm

The more I think, the more I am convinced that the whole piece of metal needs to be replaced. Will solve the whole problem at once.
BTW, I tried burning some anthracite in it last weekend.
After 2-3 hours stoyns are getting kinda brownish and soft outside, and still hard and black inside. Looks like they don't get enough oxygen.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 3:26 pm

PolarLight wrote:
Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:34 pm
I see, the Regancy 3100 has a metal screen door as an option on their website. Perhaps, better to get one.
https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Woo ... oves/F3100
I cant tell for sure if thats an actual screen with glass or what it is, but its the type of glass used that matters. You need ceramic glass made for coal stoves, or just a piece of steel.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 9:40 pm

PolarLight wrote:
Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 2:37 pm
The more I think, the more I am convinced that the whole piece of metal needs to be replaced. Will solve the whole problem at once.
BTW, I tried burning some anthracite in it last weekend.
After 2-3 hours stoyns are getting kinda brownish and soft outside, and still hard and black inside. Looks like they don't get enough oxygen.
Maybe that's it, but I'm thinking too much air is going around bypassing the fire bed, instead of ONLY to be allowed nowhere else but up through the coal bed...what you describe sounds like a superficial or surface burn...not the intense soaker fire that is needed. ALL...or 98% of the air for a anthracite fire has to enter below the grate level to pass through.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 9:36 pm

I done everything that I could do, and gave up. Antracite doesn't burn in Regency.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Feb. 27, 2019 6:02 am

I don't think coal is an option for you. Have you considered burning bio blocks in your stove(s) instead of firewood? May be a little easier to handle than firewood. No experience myself with it and not sure the cost comparison to propane, coal.

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Feb. 27, 2019 8:54 am

PolarLight wrote:
Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 5:13 pm
Hello guys.
I bought a house with 2 Regency F3100L stoves, and one inidetified Regency insert.
Both stoves and fireplace have firebricks inside, and blower can be installed as an option. There is a hole on the back of each stove, and insert has 2 holes underneath the firebox.
Do you have any idea guys, how these units can be converted into coal? I dont care if they wouldn't last long, because I am going to rebuilt whole house heating system, boiler, radiant floor, etc.... Getting blower isn't issue, what else do I need? Grates? Please help because replacing all of them will take time and money. And for my mother in law is too hard to move so much firewood. She is 73 y.o
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance
You may consider purchasing compressed blocks of wood shavings, or wood pellets. Your mother in law may be able to manage toting the smaller wood blocks, or cut open a back of wood pellets and scoop out as much as she wants to handle at a time. I have seen the small wood blocks and bags of wood pellets sold at all of the big box retailers. These are kiln dried so they catch fire quickly and burn hotter cause it has less moisture to rob the heat. The blocks are usually shrink wrapped, so whether you buy by the ton, you could store it in the garage easily... these are not good for storing outside unless you are diligent at making sure they stay covered and protected from the snow and rain.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Wed. Feb. 27, 2019 10:53 am

Perfectly dried firewood cost around 90-120canadiand per cord. Pellets about 350cad per tonn. house is too big and boiler needs to be installed for next winter forsure

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”