Hitzer 254 stove

monsterkaos27

Post by monsterkaos27 » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 7:54 am

I'm leaving wood burning after 9 years and switching to coal. I've heard nothing but great things about using coal to heat. My question is I think the Hitzer 254 stove should work perfect for my house which is 1400 sq ft. I found a Hitzer 254 stove which is brand new but last years model, is there any difference between last years model or this years? I do know the price is about $300 cheaper not sure if it's worth buying or wait and buy the newer model. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

thegreatone
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Currently: Hitzer 30-95 Previously:TLC2000, Hitzer 82, Warm Morning 400A
Coal Size/Type: rice/nut

Post by thegreatone » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 2:51 pm

It's my understanding that Hitzer doesn't make any changes to their stoves. I don't think it's "new model" vs "old model" you are dealing with, it's the same model just one was made in 2018 vs 2017. Get the cheaper one and use the $300 you save to buy coal.

monsterkaos27

Post by monsterkaos27 » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Awesome thank you for the response!

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 3:01 am

The 254 caught my attention. I believe it would make a nice little stove. About the same physical size of the 30-95, with a little more power (two grates) if needed. The 254 & 30-95 share the same fan. The fan can be a little noisy, although not unbearable. The smaller diameter, dual fan of the 50-93 is much quieter.

One thing the 254 doesn't have is a hopper. Of course, if it had a hopper, it'd be called the 30-95, and have one grate.

I plan to buy another 50-93 for the shop (Great Stove). That being said; I sure am tempted to try a 254 in the shop. I almost forgot; Yes, as said; Buy the cheaper one.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 9:49 pm

What's the main differences in the 254 and 30-95 innards and the way they burn? Seems I recall seeing an air control rod on the 254. I'm wondering if this is to control the air control for secondary air when burning wood. IDK! That's why I want to go back to Hitzer and take a better look.

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 7:08 am

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 9:49 pm
What's the main differences in the 254 and 30-95 innards and the way they burn? Seems I recall seeing an air control rod on the 254. I'm wondering if this is to control the air control for secondary air when burning wood. IDK! That's why I want to go back to Hitzer and take a better look.
They are very close to being the same on the outside. Inside is completely different. 30-95 has an internal gravity feed hopper. Because of the hopper, it has a slanted back wall, which slopes down to a single grate. Nice little stove. However, if pushed hard, and I mean Hard, the rush of air coming through that single grate, along with the slanted back wall, will build ash, and make nice clinkers. Those two factors would not stop me from buying a 30-95. If not asking it to perform way beyond it's rating, it too is a great little stove.

The 254's innards consists of 2 grates, which lessens the rush of air. Straight vertical firebox walls. This combination makes for less ash build-up, minimum clinkers, and more HP. The rod you see is for adjusting the internal sliding baffle. The 254 has no hopper. Loading is done by hand through the front load door. Heat output would be in-between the 30-95, and 50-93, in the smaller physical 30-95 size.

The only down side I can see with the 254 is no hopper. ....and that may not be a down side for someone who likes to play with "non-stoker" stoves, like myself.

If I were to get a 254, it'd be going in my shop. It'd be a combination heating appliance / toy. If heating my house, it'd be a 50-93. The 50-93 is a quick tending, reliable, user friendly, powerful stove. Like Fred says, "Tried & True". A pretty tuff stove to beat.

I don't own a 254. But have been researching it. I have questions into Dean at HITZER now.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 10:39 am

What specifically is the baffle used for? It looks like the rods used on more modern wood stoves that controls secondary air flow to the secondary air tubes. The 254 and its bigger counter part: They don't have secondary air tubes for wood burning do they?

My floor plan is an "L" shape, that is very open with the "L" have a short leg...or 12x14 approx. kitchen and a 14x32 open room...the stove sits in the middle of this room not 6ft. away from the kitchen...so the stove is centered well. The entire floor plan is either 1300 or 1500...I forget at the moment, but I'm leaning towards the 1300sq.ft. Sided house with older insulated walls and a decent amount of attic insulation...which was added to about 15 years ago...though I have no idea exactly how many inches are up there...probably 8 to 12inches...maybe more.

Also, a new coal stove would become my primary heating source and the fuel oil furnace would take a back seat...that is if my allergies will allow me to even use a stove...wood or coal.

From what I vaguely remember from looking at the 54 series and the 93 series stoves...obvioulsy the main difference is one having a removable hopper. Obviously, the rod impedes putting in a hopper in those stoves. If I recall all models use the bi-metal thermostat, but I could be mistaken. Which brings me to this: Which is the greater advantage? Controlling air flow, if that's why the baffle is there, or being able to utilize the hopper for less tending?

I guess what I'm getting at is one stove configuration has to be more efficient than the other and then we haven't even included the 55 series...the stoves with no glass window.

I really need to go back to Hitzer and take the time to ask questions and analyze these stoves better.

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Let me guess...... The 50-93, and 30-95 have hoppers. The advantages of a hopper are longer burn times, and preheated coal. The pre-heated coal doesn't cool the fire like a batch fed. The hoppers act as a baffle, by making the gasses travel around, before exiting the stove. The hoppers are ment for anthracite coal. Should you pull the hopper in order to burn bituminous coal, you have no baffle.

The 254, and 354 are made to burn Anthracite, and Bituminous coal. With no hopper acting as a baffle, a baffle had to be added. Probably adjustable for the different coals.

Not to mention, some people don't like seeing the hopper.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”