just made the switch

McNair
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Cannon Heater
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: LP

Post by McNair » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Yuppies plant flowers in coal stoves. The rest of us use them to heat our houses and shops.

ritab

Post by ritab » Tue. Dec. 19, 2023 3:57 pm

Hi Rob,

I see this is an older post. I'm 5 years late and not sure if you'll see this. I have the Pine Barren 2 but our attempt at using it as a wood stove failed with full on smoke in the house. Wondering if you ever came across the manual or have any guidance?

I see that it plugs in with a vent blower in the back. I'm unsure when that fan needs to be put on.

Thanks

Rita

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Dec. 19, 2023 4:36 pm

ritab wrote:
Tue. Dec. 19, 2023 3:57 pm
Hi Rob,

I see this is an older post. I'm 5 years late and not sure if you'll see this. I have the Pine Barren 2 but our attempt at using it as a wood stove failed with full on smoke in the house. Wondering if you ever came across the manual or have any guidance?

I see that it plugs in with a vent blower in the back. I'm unsure when that fan needs to be put on.

Thanks

Rita
Go ahead and start a thread of your own. If you can, add some pictures of your setup.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 19, 2023 9:14 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Tue. Dec. 19, 2023 4:36 pm
Go ahead and start a thread of your own. If you can, add some pictures of your setup.
Sounds like your house wanted to be the chimney. ;)

Starting a fire in a house that is warmer than the air in the chimney is always a risk of back drafting. The warm air in the house is lighter than the cold air in the chimney so a natural convection happens into the house. I had that problem big-time with my living room's very large fireplace. The outside brick chimney would be full of heavy cold air and a tall house that was warmer. If I did not close all the doors to the living room to reduce the house chimney affect and stuff a loose ball of newspaper well up into the fireplace damper and light that to cause a quick blast of heat up in the chimney to warm the air in the chimney it would always back draft.

With my two stoves, sometimes they will try to back draft if the chimney is much cooler than inside the house. Then I close the stove dampers leaving the pipe damper open, while I heat the stove pipe with a Bernzomatic propane torch to warm the air inside the pipe to get the draft going. Then when the smoke is going the right way, I can open the stove dampers again.

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”