Draft range good for setting barometric damper

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Great! Remember that the baro can only LIMIT anything stronger than what it's set for. If draft pressure gets weaker than the set point, it can NOT make it stronger.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 8:35 pm
I believe Oliver meant to say
-.08, -.10 and -.15 in his post above. Point being, if it's set to limit at -.06 it should "almost" never go stronger than that. The exception would be an extreme wind gust and would show a reading stronger than -.06 for only a few seconds. It would be a rare event unless you live in an extremely windy location. It is possible for the baro to be overwhelmed but like I said it's not the norm. There are members that use two baros on one pipe for a high draw chimney but that is extremely rare also.
Thanks Lightning. :)

Burt
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Hopper

Post by Burt » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 7:07 am

I've got it set on the correct side (H) and at .03. The draft still reads .03 most of the time and next wind storm we shall see what happens. The other day the wind gust were about 45 mph or so--taking some trees down--so I imagine the baro opening could not supply enough air for the draw after those gusts. Then, the suction pulled it up hard enough to get it stuck-- now fixed. It really is amazing watching that manometer, and to realize that the suction on the house is always changing with a lot of gusts. Now, we've got to figure what to do for humidity-- the Keystoker Hopper does not have the "hot top" like our old wood stove, and I doubt if a pot of water on it will produce much humidity. But...that's another subject. Thanks, all! --Burt

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”