10 tons delivered! 5 stove, 5 nut. Go Trump!

CorrosionMan
Location: SE Ohio - Carrolton/Kilgore/Perrysville -- inbetween
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82 FA
Coal Size/Type: Reading NUT 40lb plastic bags
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by CorrosionMan » Wed. Oct. 17, 2018 10:17 pm

I ordered before July 4th, apparently there is a shortage of truck drivers.

Plan on using the stove size to get max heat on really cold days. Is an experiment.

The new duct work has really been working well. I am hoping it will save me 2 or 3 tons per season. If you were in the same situation that I was (incorrect/bad ducting) FIX it! It will pay for itself in a few winter's. And the comfort level is immediately better!

Am also thinking about experimenting with a Hitzer 710 stoker. Just don't like the idea of being tied to electric (emergencies/zombie outbreak). Anyone have a stoker I could borrow?

I also think Hitzer should make a larger hand fed than the 82FA. Call/size it something like a 122FA.

Also looking at getting a more powerful multispeed blower fan. Any suggestions?

Also thinking of building a house using coal as main heating source. In general, what are some good ideas to follow/use with house design when doing this?

Ok, I am done rambling. Hope everyone is enjoying their coal burner and is warm!

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 1:34 am

If I were to start over and build a new house and garage I would go with a coal boiler. I would do pex through all the floors for radiant floor heat. I would also do that run the pex through the cement in the garage floor. ( i wish I would have done that when i built my garage- its a bit too large and difficult and costly to heat.. I would also do a heat pump.
I agree with the proper ducting, thats one of my current projects-good warm even heat to the far bedrooms.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”