Options for my stove pipe clearance??

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Oct. 16, 2018 8:26 am

Just curious, are you going to run that stove just to warm the floors in the depths of winter? Or do you have a way to bring that heat up into the living area? What else are you heating with?

Coal country
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar lcc

Post by Coal country » Tue. Oct. 16, 2018 9:21 am

Plan to wire up the fan to run I the forced air funce next to it and just have the supply open to the hot air in the basement. house is only 1300 Sq ft and it's all been redone and insulated

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Oct. 16, 2018 10:28 am

Nice, hopefully the basement floor and walls don't steal too much heat. Is the basement sealed from the living area above? You'll need a way for air to return to the basement so it can cycle in a loop. You might wanna consider more than one opening. What I would do is have an opening near the location of the cold air return into the basement, then another opening near the blower on the furnace and also block in between the two openings so air can't bypass the basement. What you should end up with (provided your basement is sealed well) is a low pressure area in the basement when the furnace blower kicks on which will pull air from the living area into the basement, get heated by the stove, then pushed back into the living area.

Woah, I just realized a problem, yer gonna need to be very careful with this. Creating a low pressure area in the basement could and will reverse your chimney draft by running the furnace blower exposed to the basement in any configuration. I think this could be dangerous as a matter of fact. Please proceed with caution. You'll need to keep the basement door open to keep pressure right.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”