Flue has temps.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 3:23 pm

How's it coming along Jjones, any progress?

Jjones6840
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hot blast 1357m
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Electric/heatpump

Post by Jjones6840 » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 3:27 pm

I just got off of work, stove is cooled off so I’m about to start the mods. I will update on my next burn

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 3:38 pm

No hurry, I was just curious :)

Jjones6840

Post by Jjones6840 » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 10:41 am

I added the insulation around the sides and top of the steel plates in the front and back. I learned that my draft fan does come in behind my back steel plates so I’m hoping the insulation will redirect the air down. I also learned that my shaker grate was also in upside down and slid all the way forward making the front steel plate damn near straight up and down while the back one was just collecting unburned coal. As far as my temp sensors go, I’m going to leave them there this year. Next year I plan on replacing the stove pipe changing the pitch of it and getting rid of the cheaply made baro from us stove co and finding on a little more well built.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 11:00 am

Good deal finding where the inlet to the blower enters the fire chamber. Your stove just has the single grate right? Mine had two grates in it which led to more complications. Getting that grate in the right orientation will help with clearing ash too. Since the openings are slightly beveled, having the bigger openings facing the fire will constitute a funneling effect and create bind up of material as it tries to pass down thru AND it also places the grate higher relative to the frame increasing the likelihood of jamming when shaking. Facing those bigger openings downward helps remedy both those problems.

Jjones6840

Post by Jjones6840 » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 11:07 am

Yes, mine only has the single grate in it. Only having a 6 inch flue seems to restrict me from a lot of options for stoves. One day I may rebuild it to an 8x8, but we will see if these mods work with what I have and this stove heats my house with coal.

It does excellent for firewood since the day I bought it, so my old man might eventually get this one and I may go bigger if need be. He has tons of trees so he doesn’t believe in paying for heat at all

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 11:59 am

Welcome to the forum from another Cecil-tuckian! :baby:

Lightning will get ya burning coal in that beast real well! :yes:

Jjones6840

Post by Jjones6840 » Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 11:22 pm

I have come across a new problem, i now cannot keep a flame unless my load door is open. If I shut the door it goes out within minutes. I would think that after waiting a while with it shut it would cool down and go out, but that’s not the case. As soon as I open the door I get a small amount of flame in the center. Any thoughts?

Jjones6840

Post by Jjones6840 » Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 11:25 pm

To add to that, I just lite it tonight, so the ash is clear of the grates, getting decent draft, and have a window open in the basement to ensure fresh air in. I’m stumped

Jjones6840

Post by Jjones6840 » Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Primary and secondary air wide open with draft induction fan on as well

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 8:09 am

Is there a healthy orange glow in the coal bed when this happens?

If so I don't think you necessarily have an issue. The blue flame is the volatile gas burning off the coal. Opening the door gives more oxygen from room air to ignite the gas. Its good to have the constant blue flame when a reload is done so that you don't get a puff back (spontaneous ignition of a build up of that gas). But once that is done then you may get a flicker of blue flame but mostly will have the orange glowing coal burning from the bottom up.

Lightning can give more details of the burn characteristics for that stove.....
edit to add.....

I just read another thread where Lightning mentions leaving the load door cracked and ash door open for a short time after a reload to burn off the gas to prevent a puff back. He will have to add the detail about how long he does that. It should be emphasized you MUST remember to close them up or you will have BIG issues! Some people carry a timer to make sure they remember.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 9:41 am

Jjones6840 wrote:
Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 11:22 pm
I have come across a new problem, i now cannot keep a flame unless my load door is open. If I shut the door it goes out within minutes.
This isn't necessarily a problem but I have an idea of what's happening here. As you know, coal has some hydrocarbons volatiles in it. They get baked out and if provided the proper fuel/air ratio they will ignite and burn. You said the secondary air is open so I don't think it's starving for oxygen over the fuel bed. So what's happening is that when you open the load door air is being pulled thru the load door instead of thru the fuel bed. This changes the fuel air ratio of gases coming up thru the coal bed, potentially making it richer at which point the gases ignite and you see a happy little blue flame. Then when you close the load door more air is pulled up thru the coal bed, potentially making it leaner causing the little blue flame to starve for fuel and vanish. I've seen this same effect by keeping the load door closed and opening the ash door. Upon opening the ash door a healthy flame over the coal bed gets blown out because of it becoming too lean. It's sometimes tricky to get the right ratio all the time.

It works the other way too. Not enough secondary air can cause the mixture to go rich and suffocate, so opening the load door provides enough oxygen for it to reignite.

My opinion is that the first scenario is what you are seeing because #1 you are providing secondary air before opening the load door and #2 You said the combustion blower is running.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 9:50 am

titleist1 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 8:09 am
Lightning mentions leaving the load door cracked and ash door open for a short time after a reload to burn off the gas to prevent a puff back.
Right. That is part of my routine where I'm getting the fresh batch ignited. Leaving the ash door open speeds up recovery. I keep the load cracked a quarter inch to keep gases diluted until they reach a point where they will ignite safely over the fuel bed. Here is a forced puff back for your entertainment.

Jjones6840

Post by Jjones6840 » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 5:11 pm

I left it alone from last night, went to go mess with it after work and this is what I came home to. I think I’m in luck. House is warm and that was 40lbs of coal in 22 hours

Jjones6840

Post by Jjones6840 » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Attachments

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”