Jotul 8 question

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 1:58 pm

This will give you ideas if you have a few hours to look at all the pics. Pictures of Your Stove

the duck

Post by the duck » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Hello again,
I attached a few photos of the fireplace and one of the chimney. Not sure if I can find a way to run a Class A chimney pipe up through the existing flue pipe and still be able to use the fireplace during milder seasons. My (limited) understanding is that it's one or the other, hand fed coal stove or fireplace, not both.
Thanks again for all the input, it's very helpful,
Matt

Attachments

Photo on 10-14-18 at 1.48 PM.jpg
.JPG | 183.2KB | Photo on 10-14-18 at 1.48 PM.jpg
Photo on 10-14-18 at 1.48 PM #2.jpg
.JPG | 166.2KB | Photo on 10-14-18 at 1.48 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 10-14-18 at 1.49 PM.jpg
.JPG | 151.4KB | Photo on 10-14-18 at 1.49 PM.jpg
Photo on 10-14-18 at 1.50 PM.jpg
.JPG | 355.9KB | Photo on 10-14-18 at 1.50 PM.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 3:51 pm

Nice setting Duck. I don't know why anyone would put a furnace looking appliance such as a 507 in front of that fireplace. My old Surdiac (or something similar) seems a little more suited to your application, than a vertical furnace. Tim has his located in a room similar to yours. I'll try and find his pictures. I forget what his thread is called. Plus the style is a bit more compatible with your house.
fireplace surdiac.jpg
.JPG | 9.8KB | fireplace surdiac.jpg
Not the photo I was looking for, (Just an idea) but will try to find it later.
These stoves have very low rear mounted stove pipe outlets, made for sitting in frt of a fireplace.

the duck

Post by the duck » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks for the photo,
Is that Surdiac out in front as a radiant or is it an insert? I agree, having a furnace/stove in front of my fireplace might be a bit odd looking, but maybe I can find the right look with a little more shopping around. Also, if it is just December through March, the look won't be too big of a deal. The K-Lite's been great, but always looking for the perfect combination that will keep the overall house a steady warmth while still being able to increase temps periodically with a radiant stove (and get a little extra up to the second floor). The fireplace is pretty, but not a real heat producer.
Thanks again for all the input! - Matt

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Matt, the Surdiacs, (bought out by Jotul) are installed outside the Fireplace, on the hearth floor, and think it's beneficial to plate off the FP opening. If you punch in the stoves to Google images, you'll see some other installations. I know moving mine was challenging due to it's weight, and a bunch of deflectors on the bottom. And lastly, with 4 post legs, it wasn't very portable. A consideration if you'll be moving it twice a year

Were Man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jøtul NR507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Wood VC Encore

Post by Were Man » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Hey just came across your old post. I'm new to the board, and have a Jøtul 507B. Wondering if you got a hold of one or the other. Good luck!

the duck

Post by the duck » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi,
I didn't end up putting any hand fed stove in front of my fireplace. I'd need a new class A flue liner, plus something light/portable enough to move twice a year - I'd like to still use the fire place in the autumn. I still like the idea, but can't really find a consensus on the feasibility of the plan.

Otherwise, the Koker lite stoker I have in my basement connected to my ductwork is a champ. I've put in a few small floor grates with built-in fans that really moves around the radiant heat out of the basement and up into the upper floors. That's been a real game changer for my house design. Having something radiant on the ground floor would be a nice supplement, but haven't figured out a "perfect" scenario yet. Any thoughts/suggestions are always welcome! - Matt

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”