How to re-seal a stove?

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 11:10 pm

I use mpds on both my units (cook stove and base burner) I've never had an issue but NOT ALL MPDS ARE THE SAME!!! Some are solid some have holes...

Stevejo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence hot blast

Post by Stevejo » Sat. Jan. 13, 2024 9:05 am

fig wrote:
Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 2:16 pm
Yeh I'll have to see what's going on with that ring when I get it apart. I'm struggling with these rusty bolts. In some places it's impossible to get a cut off wheel on the nut. I soaked them with penetrating oil over night and I'm using an impact driver somewhat gingerly as to not break a casting.
Old posting, but may have something to add to this. Recently disassembled my Florence hotblast and found that if you can’t get a cutoff wheel to the bolt it’ll probably just twist apart with enough force. Or with enough heat application.
Kroil seemed to work on most of them. The rest I cut off or twisted off.
Which was no issue really because most were nut/bolt anyway. Very few were tapped directly into any structure, and those left enough shank to re Kroil and vice grip out. Only one needed the extra persuasion of a torch to cooperate.

Stevejo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence hot blast

Post by Stevejo » Sat. Jan. 13, 2024 9:12 am

Oh yea, PS.
Yet one more reminder to everyone that getting heavy handed with any kind of impact device (hammer etc) should be done with an abundance of caution.
My stove project is in sections waiting for me to figure out how to rejoin a shaker grate tab that happens to be positioned adjacent to a through bolt hole that holds two sections together.
Because I got careless with a hammer tapping out twisted off bolts.
After much research and the conclusion that no one local can or will take my money to fix it, I think I can repair it.
Stick welder with 55 nickel rods with a propane torch pre heat, and ceramic fiber blanket to control the cooling time seems to be the most feasible method.
Which meant I had to buy a cheap stick welder since I haven’t owned one for 30+ years.
No such thing as a cheap education, I guess.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”