Glass Cracking problems.........

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Sep. 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Kind of slow around here. So I thought I'd throw this topic on the board.

During the off season(s), the glass in my HITZER 30-95 cracked. I thought maybe an employee hit it by mistake. Not a big deal. Then, the same thing happened to the D.S. Circulator stove. Again, don't know how it happened. Maybe hit by mistake again. All throughout the spring, summer, and into fall, the new glass has been fine. Walked into shop, and instantly noticed the glass cracked up the center. No one has been in the shop but me.......and I didn't hit it.

So, what's going on here? I know the shop is damp when not heated. Corrosion builds, and must be stress cracking the glass. Do I really need to take the glass out of door every off season? Maybe hang a light bulb? Comments / Thoughts / Ideas........

May I also add; When I had the HITZER 50-93 in the house basement, I never had a glass cracking problem. Of course, my basement is very dry.
Last edited by oliver power on Fri. Sep. 28, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Fri. Sep. 28, 2018 12:04 am

op you could try that damp rid , i think thats what its called some guys on here use it or do the light bulb thing , if your shop is some what damp as you said you may be further ahead with the light bulbs , just might help the glas problem but just my thoughts . good luck !!

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Fri. Sep. 28, 2018 12:10 am

This past April I had purchased a used Alaska Channing stoker. When I went looked and purchased it, it had some hazing cracks in the glass. It was a fridget 30 degree day. I loaded the stove into the pickup, brought it home and stuck it inside my warm garage. I came out the next morning and saw it had several real cracks in the glass - not even in the spots i saw that was hazing cracked.
I would chalk it up to temperature related. It may be possible that the retainer bolts arent evenly tight/ if one is tighter than the other it could stress the glass that plus a temp change... I bought new glass alogn with a complete seal kit for it right from Alaska itself. I also called Hitzer for new glass for my 30-95 its not cracked - just cant see through it very well.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Sep. 28, 2018 7:55 am

Expansion of rust creates a stress point...
Cracked glass...

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Sep. 28, 2018 1:24 pm

It must be glass breakage season! About a month ago, I had the door glass on my DS 1400 crack down the middle. After only 8 years of service. I got DS Machine on the phone and ordered a replacement and some rope seal. When I opened the package a week or two later, I discovered that I was sent the wrong glass. Something for a much smaller opening. I called them up and they sent a replacement. The replacement glass they sell has a rope seal installed, while my original did not use rope on the glass. They tell you to just flip the bent steel glass clips over, while the written instruction tells you to reshape them on an anvil. I had some fun getting the old clamp screws out, but succeeded. The rope seal of course has some give to it and I snugged down the flipped clamps fairly tight and evenly. After two days, I heard a crack and found my new glass cracked down the middle. This time I drove down to DSM. I explained what happened. They gave me a replacement for half price. I also returned the wrong glass that they had sent me the first time. The very nice young fella at the counter told me to just very lightly install the clamps with minimum torque. While I was still there I discussed the future of the DS Circulator models. ( they had two on the floor). He was vague about it, but said it's possible they could go again in the future. He did say that the Circulator door frames aren't that robust for the size of the glass opening. Some warpage can occur. Their newer models use meatier doors and smaller windows. I have the newest glass installed for a week and good so far. I am a little nervous about it.

The guys at DSM are a great bunch! They have a huge iron shop behind their showroom building. The showroom is lit by gas mantles from overhead piping. Also some battery lights at the counter.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Sep. 28, 2018 3:04 pm

I had the same problem last summer. My fire view window cracked during the summer sometime and there was no explanation that I could think of. Weird lol.

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Sep. 28, 2018 8:28 pm

I Thank You for your thoughts......... I may hang a bulb in the stove next summer

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 11:32 pm

Instead of a bulb how hard it it to pull hinge pins and put the door in a safe climate controlled area over summer??? Other less drastic idea If the glass is clamped into place loosen clamp slightly in off season so glass can move...

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Oct. 01, 2018 5:45 am

Well... Just my thoughts..... I don't think it's an expansion problem. These are NOT glass....they are clear ceramic & are incredibly impervious to heat/cool shocks. You can take one, heat it red hot & run cold water over it & it won't break ( see this video: It's also not a moister issue. Ceramic doesn't care if it's wet or dry. What I believe these breakages are from is....drum roll..... pressure points. In one way or another, the *glass* is bolted in too tight, or becomes too tight for some reason during it's life. Rust? Maybe. Or, the door expands and contracts with temperature changes and the glass being a bit snug eventually hangs up? Anything might happen, but it all starts with glass too tight in the frame.

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Mon. Oct. 01, 2018 10:00 pm

archangel_cpj wrote:
Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 11:32 pm
Instead of a bulb how hard it it to pull hinge pins and put the door in a safe climate controlled area over summer??? Other less drastic idea If the glass is clamped into place loosen clamp slightly in off season so glass can move...
The door simply lifts off the stove body. Archangle, I think you hit it spot on. Lift the door off, and put it in my basement.

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Mon. Oct. 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Freddy wrote:
Mon. Oct. 01, 2018 5:45 am
Well... Just my thoughts..... I don't think it's an expansion problem. These are NOT glass....they are clear ceramic & are incredibly impervious to heat/cool shocks. You can take one, heat it red hot & run cold water over it & it won't break ( see this video: It's also not a moister issue. Ceramic doesn't care if it's wet or dry. What I believe these breakages are from is....drum roll..... pressure points. In one way or another, the *glass* is bolted in too tight, or becomes too tight for some reason during it's life. Rust? Maybe. Or, the door expands and contracts with temperature changes and the glass being a bit snug eventually hangs up? Anything might happen, but it all starts with glass too tight in the frame.
Hi Freddy, When I put the new glass in last year, I made sure I left it loose. Still, I think you're right. Something is binding.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Oct. 01, 2018 10:37 pm

rust puts lots of pressure on things...
Trust me...
Busted my "glass" with rust expansion...

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Oct. 04, 2018 7:28 pm

I just asked about this problem in another thread. Glad I saw this one -- seems the answer is to loosen the clamps for the summer???

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Thu. Oct. 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Since my glass always got glazed over rather quickly the last time I said the hell with it & threw in a steel plate & haven't missed that clouded glow a bit.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”