emmissions

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Sep. 13, 2018 3:26 pm

I would suspect a coal burning power plant has to have all sorts of scrubbers in the stack that a home burning stove does not have. CO2 is not necessarily the demon that is presented as none of the things that were going to happen in 20 years has happened. Next is the more CO2 the faster plant life grows giving off oxygen. In all the models of green house gases water vapor and methane have been ignored and they make much larger impacts. All in all the recent past volcanoes and forest fires have released more pollution of all kinds than man does in a decade. At the end of the day if the stack is burning clean I would not stress to much as 98% of the population is too lazy to do much more than turn up the heat and send a check.

On the stove personally I want a space heater for coal that will run with no electricity needed as I think in terms of the power being out and needing heat cooking and warm water to wash up in. I have public water and they have generators supplying the water mains for fire protection and domestic use. But at the end of the day everyone has their own goals.

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Thu. Sep. 13, 2018 9:13 pm

lsayre wrote:
Fri. Sep. 07, 2018 9:48 am
Interestingly enough, propane produces almost as much CO2 as does coal, on a BTU for BTU basis. A few percentage points less at best. The best fuel to burn with regard to CO2 emissions is natural gas, and oil is only perhaps 10% worse than natural gas. I was correct in assuming that BTU fro BTU wood and coal are identical. If anything, wood is a percentage point more CO2 polluting than coal. KWH for KWH is merely another way of expressing BTU for BTU.

Pounds CO2 per KWH.png
This graph is for Bit coal. In fact "most" all what you find online for specs is for Coal used in making power.

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Thu. Sep. 13, 2018 9:16 pm

WOOD LOGS..
Care about emissions?? Scrape off the BARK. The bark is where the Kreosote and nasty emissions are.
Many of the better Pellet makers will shave the logs first.
De-barking will help your chimney run cleaner, as will running some Anthracite through it.
Good luck!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Sep. 14, 2018 10:49 am

Formulabruce wrote:
Thu. Sep. 13, 2018 9:16 pm
De-barking will help your chimney run cleaner, as will running some Anthracite through it.
My understanding is if you have a lot of creosote build up it can come off in pretty big chunks when using the coal so you need to be very careful about a blocked flue or clean it beforehand. The other potential issue is if you install a barometric damper, if a chimney fire occurs because of the creosote the fire has an unlimited amount of air.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”