Michigan codes.

Yankcanuck

Post by Yankcanuck » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I purchased a Coal Chubby and I'm ready to start the installation. I've been doing on-line research for months and believed I was clear on the codes here in Michigan, but now that I'm under the gun, I'm second guessing myself. Does anyone know where I might be able to find Michigan's codes? Or who I can contact? The reason I'm getting tripped up is my insurance agent sent me the clearances that the inspector will be checking, but I thought the inspector would follow the stove manufactures recommendations. Is this correct? As I'm sure you all know, the clearances the insurance agent sent are, in most cases, greater then what are listed on the Chubby. For example, the hearth pad would need to be larger to meet the State code, then what Larry has listed for the stove. I'm embarrassed to be asking this of the forum as I honestly thought I had a clear understanding of what needed to be done to install the Chubby before I ordered it.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Yank call your local building inspector . jack

Yankcanuck

Post by Yankcanuck » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Jack, I contacted the building inspector for Chippewa county this past winter. Surprisingly, he told me to contact the State. I hadn't expected that. That concerned me as to who I will contact to actually inspect the installation?? Thank you for the suggestion.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Presumably the clearances for the stove have been arrived at when the stove was tested in a UL laboratory. i believe the state will accept that, rather than figures for untested stoves. Your query should be if the state accepts UL figures for clearance.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Many times insurance companies and municipalities use the National Fire Codes as their local codes for allowable heat shield materials and clearances for stoves and pipes.

I've posted them and they were a sticky at the top where newbies could find them, but they got moved somewhere when this site was redesigned.

Wait,.... I found 'em here.
Post by Sunny Boy - Stove and Stove Pipe NFPA Clearances.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 6:53 pm

NFPA.. check it out...

https://codesonline.nfpa.org/

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 6:53 pm
I've posted them and they were a sticky at the top where newbies could find them, but they got moved somewhere when this site was redesigned.
All the stickies and popular topics are linked from the "Popular XYX topics...." found at the top of each forum. Less clutter and room for more links. That one is here, coincidentally at the very top,

Popular Chimney, Coal Bin & Other General Coal Topics

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Ohio is code central yet the OBBC does not address wood or coal stoves and they require no permits... Many states do not require nor offer any inspections or code enforcement for the above... IT comes down to liability and if the authority having jurisdiction were to approve your set up as safe and your place burned down guess who your insurance company is calling!!!

General rules no closer than 36 inches from anything flammable and that includes single wall pipe... Once the pipe meets structure to exit a building then single or triple wall or a masonary chimney is to be used...

I used to live in NE Wisconsin could throw a rock into UP and every building had a wood burning stove and none were inspected...

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Most all states follow the national code.

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Sun. Sep. 16, 2018 8:23 pm

In my town in CT the building inspector and fire marshal came out to look at mine. They followed the spec sheet that I printed from the Chubby web site. They measured everything and were very detailed. That's what my insurance company required as well as the UL listing. You will really enjoy the Chubby.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Sep. 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Yes, you are right. Before I moved into my house here in KY a few years ago, I had central air and heat installed (which was inspected), and wood stove installed (by contractor), which was not inspected.

All State would not insure a house with a wood stove, but my agent found a company that would--they charge $50 a year extra for that. The insurer did not ask to look inside--just the outside. Obviously All State would have smelled smoke if I tried to sneak by with it. The insurer is American Modern out of Ohio, and they were better than my neighbors All State when a tornado hit--mine gave full compensation--fast--even though they could have taken off depreciation.
archangel_cpj wrote:
Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 9:37 pm
Ohio is code central yet the OBBC does not address wood or coal stoves and they require no permits... Many states do not require nor offer any inspections or code enforcement for the above... IT comes down to liability and if the authority having jurisdiction were to approve your set up as safe and your place burned down guess who your insurance company is calling!!!

General rules no closer than 36 inches from anything flammable and that includes single wall pipe... Once the pipe meets structure to exit a building then single or triple wall or a masonary chimney is to be used...

I used to live in NE Wisconsin could throw a rock into UP and every building had a wood burning stove and none were inspected...

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Sep. 22, 2018 4:23 pm

The insurance companies consider stoves to be supplamental appliances so they add risk. A boiler or furnace is consider exacty what they are no matter the fuel. Just stick a kerosene heater in the middle of your living room and see what the insurance man says.

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sat. Sep. 22, 2018 11:03 pm

Now State Farm could care less about my stoves... I asked my agent if I needed a fire inspection (Pretty easy I would just sign it myself) but they said nope I asked if I needed a rider nope...

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Sep. 23, 2018 7:57 am

Sometimes, if you ask your agent they don't care,... but if you were to ask the insurance company directly, they get touchy about technicalities.

My agency used to send a form questionair every year with the copy of the policy. One line of the form asks to list type of house heating system and all fireplaces and stoves.

I filled it out the first year and never heard anything back from them. Each year since I never bothered to fill it out and I still haven't heard anything from them. Only time they contact me is if I'm late paying. :D

Paul

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 5:59 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Sat. Sep. 22, 2018 3:42 pm
Yes, you are right. Before I moved into my house here in KY a few years ago, I had central air and heat installed (which was inspected), and wood stove installed (by contractor), which was not inspected.

All State would not insure a house with a wood stove, but my agent found a company that would--they charge $50 a year extra for that. The insurer did not ask to look inside--just the outside. Obviously All State would have smelled smoke if I tried to sneak by with it. The insurer is American Modern out of Ohio, and they were better than my neighbors All State when a tornado hit--mine gave full compensation--fast--even though they could have taken off depreciation.
I just got a policy from All State and they did not seem to care about the coal stove it is listed and they singed off on the binder. It is less than Liberty Mutual and has better coverage. Liberty had a deduction for hurricane damage of 15% and All State has a 125% payout for wind and hail damage go figure.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”