Looking to buy hand fired coal stove

Dfine

Post by Dfine » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 9:54 am

Hello, I am new to hand fired coal stoves. Currently I have an Alaskan stoker stove II that I had high expectations for at first but overall was not thrilled with. I think there’s just too much going on for me with them, too many parts that can break etc.. and I think I want a basic hand fired stove now. I burn wood all winter too and love how easy it is. I think that’s why I want a hand fired stove, I like the radiant heat that the hand fired stoves give off rather than the warm air at best that my stoker gives off.

I am looking at two stoves right now, Harman mark 3 and Harman sf 250. I am not sure if I would get good enough draft with these two stoves out of my chimney. All I know is my chimney has a 7inch inner diameter thimble that the stoves would have to hook up to. Because my thimble is 7inch does that mean my flue is too? This is what is confusing me. I believe I read the sf250 needs and 8inch flue and cannot remember what the mark 3 needs but I believe 6inch?

Could I use a reducer or enhancer pipe on the end of the stoves exhaust to attach to the thimble if they were too big or too small? Any ideas or tips is appreciated. And go easy on me, I’m a rookie. Thanks!

Odyknuck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Circulator #1500 W/ blower modification
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal
Other Heating: House - Propane Forced air furnace. Garage - Hydronic in the concrete floor with Pellet stove supplement.

Post by Odyknuck » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 1:58 pm

At minimum the flue piping needs to be the diameter of the outlet of the stove.

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Thu. Sep. 13, 2018 9:23 pm

7 inch thimble is fine, and you can adapt up from the 6 that is pretty common on the stoves you mentioned. I run a simple CHUBBY stove and love it .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”