New DS1500 Coal stove

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Sep. 04, 2018 9:53 am

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 04, 2018 9:32 am
Warminmn, I was looking at your avatar picture and curious about your stove. The shield behind it seems to be translucent--what is it? Is it meant just to prevent walking into the stove? Also, what is the platform under the stove (besides the black stove board)?

By the way, when I used a wood stove I put a kettle on it for humidity, and where I live is very quiet--people hear something and ask what that sound is--it is the kettle, even though it is not boiling.

I think I am going to get a clothes drying rack to put near my new stove, which should be faster than the dryer and add some moisture. It is not easy to find good clothes racks--the ones at discount stores have already fallen apart on the store shelves. Not like my mama's rack used over the floor furnace.
It is a Chubby Jr, the smaller Chubby stove. I use it in mild weather, and in extremely cold weather as a 2nd stove. The shield is a heat shield I built from an old fireplace screen, adding tin to it and painting it. The wall behind it is faux brick so needs a heat shield. The platform is a big hunk of cement I formed. Im tall, the stove is short, so i wanted it raised some.

There may be some good new drying racks made somewhere, but if you want a real good one watch auctions or maybe craigslist or other online places. The old large good ones do not usually go cheap. I do not own an electric dryer. Everything dries in the house in the winter. It does raise humidity but I still need a pan on the stove.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Sep. 04, 2018 1:15 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Sep. 04, 2018 9:53 am
There may be some good new drying racks made somewhere, but if you want a real good one watch auctions or maybe craigslist or other online places.
We saw some good ones for little money in an antiques store.
Also discovered that some of our kitchen utensils are now being sold as antiques. :lol:
Ah, well ....

Odyknuck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Circulator #1500 W/ blower modification
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal
Other Heating: House - Propane Forced air furnace. Garage - Hydronic in the concrete floor with Pellet stove supplement.

Post by Odyknuck » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Well I just received my first load (2.5 Tons) of bagged NUT coal today. Won't be long before I fire this baby up! I also decided to buy another ash pan so I can swap them out and take the hot one outside to cool down.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 7:48 pm

I buy bagged nut coal too, this is my first year. I get it from Tractor Supply, since I drive by there twice a week anyway and I have a station wagon that can take half a ton per trip. I have 2 1/2 tons so far too. If I ever find a delivery way to buy it, how do you deal with receiving pallets? Do you have a pallet jack or what?
Odyknuck wrote:
Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 6:05 pm
Well I just received my first load (2.5 Tons) of bagged NUT coal today. Won't be long before I fire this baby up! I also decided to buy another ash pan so I can swap them out and take the hot one outside to cool down.

rberq

Post by rberq » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 7:48 pm
If I ever find a delivery way to buy it, how do you deal with receiving pallets? Do you have a pallet jack or what?
Two dealers I have bought from have pallet jacks, and can wheel full pallets into my garage and plunk them down wherever I request.
Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 7:48 pm
I have a station wagon that can take half a ton per trip
:!: Picture please, of the station wagon loaded. :o

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Sorry, I am not going to put it back in the station wagon to take a picture for you (and back again). Half a ton is 25 bags, and they fit in my HHR with the rear seats folded flat. A pallet (ton) would not fit. We load three bags across, three long, which is 9--times 3 deep, would be 27 but I just do an even 25. We drop 4 behind the front seats in the gap, which keeps the rest from sliding forward when I stop, and could put some in the front seat space. The drive is 18 miles.

I wish I could get whole pallets delivered and parked in my garage. I guess the truck has to have a lift gate. My stove was delivered to my contractor because he had a loading dock to receive it. Otherwise they would have put it down at the street.

My driveway is short but steep and narrow, so very big trucks could not get in (two lane street). Wait a minute--when I moved in, years ago, a North American Van Lines 18 wheeler backed in somehow.

But Tractor Supply price includes shipping from PA to, Fulton KY, almost 900 miles, and I can get it home without additional shipping or delivery charges. The garage is next to my living room, with covered access.

We are having temps in the 80's for the next 10 days (warmer than usual), so it looks like I won't need to light the coal till November--even November here has average highs of 60, so unless it gets cold early I may wait until Thanksgiving. Our real winter generally kicks in Christmas week, till early March, but can be very cold, below zero--and longer. I am only 60 miles from Illinois.

Odyknuck
Other Heating: House - Propane Forced air furnace. Garage - Hydronic in the concrete floor with Pellet stove supplement.

Post by Odyknuck » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Cherry Valley Stoves is the place that delivered it. He came with a trailer and a 3 wheel fork lift buggy. He drove the buggy around back of the house where my outdoor entrance is to the basement. They charged me 50 bucks to deliver 2 Pallets. They also are the people I bought the stove from and they delivered it down in the basement for free. Well worth it to me.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Odyknuck wrote:
Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 10:11 pm
Cherry Valley Stoves is the place that delivered it. He came with a trailer and a 3 wheel fork lift buggy. He drove the buggy around back of the house where my outdoor entrance is to the basement. They charged me 50 bucks to deliver 2 Pallets. They also are the people I bought the stove from and they delivered it down in the basement for free. Well worth it to me.
Anyone who will deliver a stove to a basement free deserves your business!

rberq

Post by rberq » Sat. Oct. 06, 2018 8:57 am

Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 10:02 pm
I wish I could get whole pallets delivered and parked in my garage. I guess the truck has to have a lift gate.
That's what one local farm-supply guy has, along with a pallet jack. Sells a lot of Kimmel in the 50-pound bags, and at my age I'm more of a 40-pound Blaschak guy.

Another place (garden store) said he would throw all the bags in a dump truck and dump it on my lawn, and yes, there would be a number of broken bags for me to clean up. I passed on that deal. :lol:

Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck » Sat. Oct. 06, 2018 7:04 pm

warminmn wrote:
Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 10:33 pm
Anyone who will deliver a stove to a basement free deserves your business!
I totally agree. Cherry Valley is owned and operated by the Amish and are very nice people.

Bubbalowe
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 10:02 pm
Sorry, I am not going to put it back in the station wagon to take a picture for you (and back again). Half a ton is 25 bags, and they fit in my HHR with the rear seats folded flat. A pallet (ton) would not fit. We load three bags across, three long, which is 9--times 3 deep, would be 27 but I just do an even 25. We drop 4 behind the front seats in the gap, which keeps the rest from sliding forward when I stop, and could put some in the front seat space. The drive is 18 miles.

I wish I could get whole pallets delivered and parked in my garage. I guess the truck has to have a lift gate. My stove was delivered to my contractor because he had a loading dock to receive it. Otherwise they would have put it down at the street.

My driveway is short but steep and narrow, so very big trucks could not get in (two lane street). Wait a minute--when I moved in, years ago, a North American Van Lines 18 wheeler backed in somehow.

But Tractor Supply price includes shipping from PA to, Fulton KY, almost 900 miles, and I can get it home without additional shipping or delivery charges. The garage is next to my living room, with covered access.

We are having temps in the 80's for the next 10 days (warmer than usual), so it looks like I won't need to light the coal till November--even November here has average highs of 60, so unless it gets cold early I may wait until Thanksgiving. Our real winter generally kicks in Christmas week, till early March, but can be very cold, below zero--and longer. I am only 60 miles from Illinois.
Have an HHR also so good info. The price break here from ton to single bags is only $20.00, not worth the damage to a vehicle either.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 8:44 pm

I have one source in this area--Tractor Supply, in 40 lb. bags. So far I have not suffered from hauling them--the liner slips out and hoses off.

Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck » Tue. Oct. 16, 2018 9:44 am

There be Blue ladies in the new stove :clap: :yes: . Talk about a learning curve. I started off with using self lighting Charcoal. I simply could not get the Coal to fire with it. It was 54 degrees outside and I could not get a good draft to light it off. The Charcoal would burn out just about the time the Coal was thinking about it. So to plan "B". I backed a 2" layer of coal around the perimeter of the stove. Then I split up some short pieces of 2 x 4s I had laying around from my Model Railroad project. Crumbled up some paper and laid in the center of the grates along with a small pile of the 2 x 4s. within 10 minutes the coal lit and the rest is history! It's a good thing as the Wife unit was lamenting what a great investment I had made converting to Coal and it not working.

Attachments

20181016_093241.jpg
.JPG | 225.8KB | 20181016_093241.jpg

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Oct. 16, 2018 9:52 am

Beautiful fire you have there! :)

Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck » Tue. Oct. 16, 2018 10:45 am

Thanks, I noticed that the blue ladies are not always there. Is that normal?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”