Post by rberq » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Odyknuck wrote:
Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 4:31 pm
There be a new Coal stove in the House.
Viewed with some suspicion. :lol:

Odyknuck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Circulator #1500 W/ blower modification
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal
Other Heating: House - Propane Forced air furnace. Garage - Hydronic in the concrete floor with Pellet stove supplement.

Post by Odyknuck » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Yeah I know the pic was not that great. My Puppy thought it was an alien and tried to bite it lol.

Odyknuck
Other Heating: House - Propane Forced air furnace. Garage - Hydronic in the concrete floor with Pellet stove supplement.

Post by Odyknuck » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 7:33 am

Ok, who makes the best 6" Barometric damper?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 7:54 am

Odyknuck wrote:
Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 7:33 am
Ok, who makes the best 6" Barometric damper?
You want a Field Controls Type RC. I had a bad experience with their more expensive Type M sticking open. And so did at least one other person on this forum.

Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 8:09 am

As I was researching welded pipe and fittings I noticed that different manufactures use different connections. Will the RC work with a Rockford system? Or am I better off using one of their "T"s with an insert Barometric damper?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 8:10 am

Definitely use their recommended "T" If you're gonna do it, do it right--ONCE.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 8:11 am

Odyknuck wrote:
Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 8:09 am
As I was researching welded pipe and fittings I noticed that different manufactures use different connections. Will the RC work with a Rockford system? Or am I better off using one of their "T"s with an insert Barometric damper?
Mine was a tight fit in a Saf-T Pipe tee, but it did jam in and it works just fine.

Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:31 am

So what model number is the insert without the "T"?

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:38 am

Odyknuck wrote:
Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:31 am
So what model number is the insert without the "T"?
The RC and M both come with a sheet metal cut-out that when wrapped around a properly diametered hole that you must cut into a section of your straight pipe yourself, will accept the damper. In my opinion it's a lot easier to put a tee in the line and add the damper to the tee. But perhaps all tees from all manufacturers may or may not allow these dampers to fit, and/or if you can get them in, they may jam and not function properly....

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 11:17 am

The 'wrap around' is the accompaning factory supplied collar and removes any doubt of getting the design fitment,
You would need to use tin-snips to fashion the hole in the straight section to add the collar over, but the collar is how a Type M is designed to function...it provides a much deeper throat for the M as opposed to just 'slapping' it into 'any old' tee fitting.

ETA: A standard tee is not what mfgr designed for best operation although many DIY find it simpiler.
Pro contractors are familar with what needs done and find the matching collar easy enough to install.
Setting up a M type for coal use differs from setting it up for other fuels...so results can vary by available skill sets.
Last edited by McGiever on Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 12:44 pm

lsayre wrote:
Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:38 am
In my opinion it's a lot easier to put a tee in the line and add the damper to the tee. But perhaps all tees from all manufacturers may or may not allow these dampers to fit
Yes, easier to use a standard tee. I have had some that were a very tight fit but they always went in OK. Last one I ordered (Field Controls model RC), I got the black one WITH the tee from Field -- more expensive, but it saved having to paint it and it assembled very easily.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 7:55 pm

I am changing from wood to coal this year, for the same reason. I have a new Vigilant II coal stove and the manual says no air must enter the flue without first passing through the firebox of coal--so no barometric damper or manual damper. It does say if there is a problem with wind, get a cap for that at the top of the chimney, which I already had with wood. I am on a high hill with lots of wind, but had no problem with wood. I was buying wood, and had nothing but problems--wrong size, not seasoned, high prices. Coal will be cheaper for me, and much less work.

I am using nut coal in bags because that is all I can get here, but many people here say they mix it with pea coal for slower burns (or all pea in fall or spring, or warm spells). The smaller pea coal packs more densely by nature, so less air gets through it (or it gets through more slowly). This is the first time I have heard complaints about wet coal, but I would not be surprised if they sprayed it down before bagging--as they do before home deliveries in bulk, I am told. That should reduce the dust.

DS was my choice for some time in my plans, so I could burn coal or wood with equal efficiency (The Comfort Max 75), but I came across a sale on the Vermont Castings Vigilant II that was irresistible. If I don't like it, I also have natural gas heat, but I have become used to the coziness of a fire (from wood).

Should the dust in the bags or scuttle just be poured over the hot coal, or used in some other way?

Odyknuck wrote:
Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 8:44 am
:out: Greetings folks. Did not see an introduction page so I will do it here. I live in Northeast Ohio. I have been burning wood for the last 12 years and convinced myself that because it was from my property it was free lol. Well we all know there is no such thing as Free lol. So at 63 years old , reality set in and I decided it was way to much work for an old man and my wife unit.
:yes: So I just stepped into the coal burning world with a brand new DS Circulator #1500 (being delivered Tuesday) and have some questions.

1) I will be using my existing Metalbestas chimney however want to do away with the leaky split stove pipe inside. What is the best stuff to use?

2) Dealer stated per factory recommendations I do not need a Barometric damper with this model , Thoughts?

3) Dealer stocks Blaschak Coal, Is the good stuff or should I use something else?

4) Should I use Pea or Nut coal?

5) Any other tips for a Newby? :idea:

Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 4:19 pm

So I ordered A Field Control RC Barometric damper today off Fleabay for 47 bucks.

Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck » Sun. Aug. 19, 2018 9:31 pm

What are the thoughts on using single wall 6" 24 gauge stainless steel stove pipe

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Aug. 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Odyknuck wrote:
Sun. Aug. 19, 2018 9:31 pm
What are the thoughts on using single wall 6" 24 gauge stainless steel stove pipe
That'll work.
Would that be snapped or welded seam?
Standard rolled crimp ends?
Could you re-crimp it after a piece is cut?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”