Stove for under 1000sqft

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Mon. Aug. 06, 2018 5:36 pm

My Wife and I are looking at a camp around 700sqft largely uninsulated. I was wondering what your recommendations were?

We will be there mostly spring summer and early fall. Maybe a few trips in the winter to hunt or maybe ice fishing/ice skating. Obviously the stove will see it's heaviest use in the winter as it will be the sole source of heat. I'd like something maybe I could burn eco bricks in the shoulder season and coal in the cold months.

I was thinking Glenwood 114 size?

Thanks,

Andrew

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Aug. 06, 2018 5:46 pm

You will probably be visiting when the camp building is very cold, so will need something larger than if heating were always on. It takes a lot to raise the heat from a low temperature reasonably quickly.

So i would suggest something larger than what would normally be adequate if heat were always on. Perhaps a Hitzer 50-93 or Harman mark ll. If wood burning is a consideration that also effects choice. Wood is good for fast heat.

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Mon. Aug. 06, 2018 7:36 pm

The 50-93 probably doesnt do bad with the occasional load of wood burned in it. To start the coal fire of coarse ;)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Aug. 06, 2018 10:06 pm

If an antique the Glenwood 116 or equivalent might be a good choice. Fast heating with wood and then coal to make it last.

ASea

Post by ASea » Tue. Aug. 07, 2018 9:16 am

franco b wrote:
Mon. Aug. 06, 2018 10:06 pm
If an antique the Glenwood 116 or equivalent might be a good choice. Fast heating with wood and then coal to make it last.
I was thinking 114 or 116 ish. It's nice because they have the wood plate you can put in them. I woud burn mostly eco bricks in the off season to eliminate as much creosote as possible then coal when it gets cold. At any rate I hope things work out with the camp, then I can worry about stoves LOL! This is actually the season to buy one. The other folks haven't started to think about stoves yet.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Aug. 07, 2018 9:40 am

Some creosote coating is actually benefical to preserving a stove and stove pipe during dormant times as opposed to leaving fly-ash coating.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Fri. Aug. 24, 2018 9:01 pm

This is not relevant to your question, but--I wonder where in the wilderness you can leave a cabin unattended for long periods of time with valuables--even coal or seasoned wood (not to mention the stove...) I know a family that had the two brick chimneys with fireplaces stolen from their country house.

I am told that it is never-ever good to build a raging fire (wood or coal) in a cold stove, so while it is warming up you might consider a propane or kerosene heater. Eco bricks are not a bad idea for warming the stove up (one or two of them).

A radiant stove of the simple kind might work well there--you can gather around the stove area to be warm, and use blankets to sleep. A traditional pot belly could burn wood or coal, and heat up faster than today's more complex home heaters. And they have one or more cooking lids for skillets or Dutch ovens.
ASea wrote:
Mon. Aug. 06, 2018 5:36 pm
My Wife and I are looking at a camp around 700sqft largely uninsulated. I was wondering what your recommendations were?

We will be there mostly spring summer and early fall. Maybe a few trips in the winter to hunt or maybe ice fishing/ice skating. Obviously the stove will see it's heaviest use in the winter as it will be the sole source of heat. I'd like something maybe I could burn eco bricks in the shoulder season and coal in the cold months.

I was thinking Glenwood 114 size?

Thanks,

Andrew

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Aug. 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Lots of people complain about not having bought a big enough stove. Very few complain about having too big a stove.

Especially good to have one on the large side if your going to use coal because you can idle a coal stove way down and it just runs that much longer. Idle a wood stove down and you get creosote buildup in the pipe and chimney.

I agree with Franco, a 16 inch firepot stove, like a Glenwood 116, would be better in an uninsulated cabin in very cold weather.

Get too small a stove and push it hard to keep warm in really cold weather and you start damaging castings, and/or warping steel. Then your spending the money you thought you'd save with a smaller stove on replacement parts. That could cost you more than a bigger stove in the long run.

Paul

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Aug. 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Propane. Easy on when you arrive, easy off when you leave, adjustable from very low to very high if you have the right heater or multiple heaters. Coal is great but maybe not practical for this situation? -- especially if you are staying only a day or two at a time and in less-severe weather. A big coal stove like the Hitzer 50-93, when loaded up and burning steady, can take literally days (with no one in attendance? :? ) for the fire to go out. And then there's a mess to clean out next time you visit, before you can start a new fire.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Aug. 25, 2018 9:34 pm

I used to start a cold wood stove and get it darn near red hot all the time after being gone 12 hrs at work. It was a big steel stove with a thick cast tron top.... not sure I'd do that with a 100% cast iron stove. I was burning wood at the time and it was 230AM and 0 to -20 outside and i wasnt screwing around as i wanted to go to bed.... now you know how I discovered coal. Anyway, I dont think you would hurt a steel stove doing that as long as theres some ash on the grate, if it has grates.

I think I'd go with a large cheap used wood stove with a real big window on the front to enjoy the fire. Or I'd go propane. Nothing expensive someone might want to steal. If coal is how you want to go I'd get an old ugly potbelly and try to seal it up some.

Stealing a brick chimney is right up there with steeling copper water pipes. Amazing what people will steal to make $50 when they could get a job instead.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Aug. 26, 2018 12:52 am

rberq wrote:
Sat. Aug. 25, 2018 8:26 pm
Propane. Easy on when you arrive, easy off when you leave, adjustable from very low to very high if you have the right heater or multiple heaters. Coal is great but maybe not practical for this situation? -- especially if you are staying only a day or two at a time and in less-severe weather. A big coal stove like the Hitzer 50-93, when loaded up and burning steady, can take literally days (with no one in attendance? :? ) for the fire to go out. And then there's a mess to clean out next time you visit, before you can start a new fire.
It All depends........ You will be on kind of a vacation. The lighting of a stove might be part of the whole experience. If you like monkeying with a stove for a day or two, go for it. Maybe an older parlor stove of some type. Burn a little wood; burn a little coal; enjoy your vacation, and go home. The HITZER 50-93 is a great coal stove. Not so good of a wood stove. A cheap wood only stove, that would heat the place up quick; go get yourself a barrel stove kit. If convenience, I agree with rberq; look at insulation, and propane.

ASea

Post by ASea » Sun. Aug. 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Well, the sad part is I was outbid on the property :( I probably would have looked for an older stove to burn wood and coal. Oh well, better luck next time.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 9:14 am

:cry: :| :no1:
Sorry to hear it. Are there bidding wars for real estate in your area, or was it just a matter of somebody offering closer to the asking price? RE around here has been selling like hotcakes, for surprisingly large $$$.

ASea

Post by ASea » Tue. Aug. 28, 2018 1:41 pm

rberq wrote:
Mon. Aug. 27, 2018 9:14 am
:cry: :| :no1:
Sorry to hear it. Are there bidding wars for real estate in your area, or was it just a matter of somebody offering closer to the asking price? RE around here has been selling like hotcakes, for surprisingly large $$$.
this was a lakefront cottage in NH,cash only deal. There was a bidding war. I'd love to be in Maine, good for you.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”