Chimney and framing in 1870's house

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Jul. 26, 2018 12:02 pm

I have an 1870's house with a single flue center chimney that was relined about 20 years ago with chimney tiles. A bird or family of birds decided to build such a good nest that in a heavy driving rain water could get into the chimney past the cap and partially fill the chimney with water. This caused the water to dissolve whatever is between the brick and tile. The house was originally heated with coal for the first 70 years until after WWII. So whatever is between the tile and bricks that did not get brushed out before tile install is what got dissolved and into the plaster that is easy to rip out and change but also some of the framing had this goo deposited on it. My question is will this damage the framing and if so can it be neutralized. Assuming the goo has some acid in it my plan was to mix up a mild base and water like baking soda or possibly lime to soak in and neutralize it. Beyond that it occurred to me to use some epoxy resin and thin with acetone to soak in and seal the wood. If it matters the framing is old growth southern white pine and hard as a rock after 143 years. The other side of the coin is am I over thinking this? I plan on being alive God willing for another 20 years and the house has been in the family for almost 100 years already. At 66 and partially disabled I need to nip problems early before they become large. I have a kid coming over to do the demo and expose what is wrong then it gets down to seeing what I have.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jul. 26, 2018 10:35 pm

open it first...
then give us some pics...
for smoke and water damage usually a shellac based primer...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”