Burning Wood in the Chubby

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Tue. May. 22, 2018 6:25 am

There was frost this morning here in Northern Maine. Temps dropped down into the forties after the sun went down yesterday so I started a wood fire in the Chubby ..didn't seem to make sense starting a coal fire. Temps in the house last night were okay... in the low 60's F. I had some dry kindling, some aspen and some pine and a few chunks of maple handy. I got the fire going with the kindling, the pine and aspen. Just before I turned in for the night (around 10PM) I tossed in a chunk of maple. I got up at this morning at 4AM and when I passed by the Chubby I noticed it was still putting out heat. When I took a look, indeed there were embers sill glowing. I love this Chubby.

keegs

Post by keegs » Thu. May. 24, 2018 8:43 am

Well it happened again....

I went to bed around 9:45 last night. Remembering the frost warning for the morning, I put about 3 pieces (maple) of wood into the stove and turned the intake/exhaust vents down all the way. This morning to my amazement the fire was still going. When I opened the feeder door there was one piece of maple about 3/4 gone (burned) and one piece about 1/4 gone. Granted, the stove wasn't putting out a whole lot of heat but I felt the temp diff when I descended the stairs and the thermometer reads 60.

Larry Trainor is a genius.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Ive had good luck with mine. I usually keep a few eco bricks around to take the chill off in the shoulder seasons. Do you flip up the tabs on the side to burn wood?

keegs

Post by keegs » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 5:48 am

ASea wrote:
Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:22 pm
Ive had good luck with mine. I usually keep a few eco bricks around to take the chill off in the shoulder seasons. Do you flip up the tabs on the side to burn wood?
Can't remember for sure if I left the tabs open but I do recall needing to open them, the ash door and the damper to get the wood fire really going. I think once the fire was fully established I turned everything down except the vents in the ash door. I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to keep a coal fire during early to mid spring and mid-late fall. This seems like a better alternative. There's enough fallen trees here to make the wood supply plentiful.

Just bought the bib (ash catcher). I was a little disappointed that it came painted. I've been using polish over the original steel body and I buff the castings. The bib still looks good though.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”